Husky 55 Rancher stops running after cutting larger wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSburt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all just got a husky 55 rancher back from the saw shop after a p&c replacement and went firewood cutting to start putting some time on the break in. Well 5 tanks in and while cutting larger sized (15-20" diameter) oak the saw just quit running and would not start until it cooled down. Never had a saw do this before after a new P&c install so thinking this needs to back to shop and have them look it over and see what's up. Any thoughts? It was cutting the smaller sized wood fine with nice smooth power. Only mod is the muffler has been dual ported.

On that saw possibly not venting correctly? Pushing it hard demands more fuel, perhaps it couldn't keep up with delivery from vacuum building up in the tank. Push in tube top of the tank with a little porous vent "pill" in the end facing outside. Could be some gunk there blocking it. If it happens again immediately try cracking the fuel cap open see if it whooshes or anything.

Scaring me too.Better have a look at exhaust port,it smells seizing.
My option is u got the saw to hot and over heated it I have the same saw and I
Start have problems if I push it to hard ex. Throttle response bad and will puff black smoke let it cool down its a play toy

Well I pulled the muffler and took a look see and yup 5 tanks in this cylinder is all scored but not on the exhaust port side it is on the transfers side of the cylinder almost like a lower bearing come loose and started bouncing around. Well guess this one is getting torn down again and find out if anything is came loose. How about Metoer as a replacement anyone use these for a 55?

I will check that tomorrow when I pull the top end off. Just sucks to have new piston hatch so fast.

Or
sounds like u got a bad apple meaning macanhic sound like they didn't make sure the rings were in proper place I would would be raising hell is ther blow by on the piston
like u said some thing came loose I seen the clips that hold the piston on come off too if the did not set them in place properly and make one hell of a mess

Took it back to the shop and they are going to replace it with a OEM p&c. After pulling the muffler and looking inside there was damage to the transfer port sides of the cylinder so I agree with posts that maybe a clip let go and started bouncing around for a few tanks.

The 55 was bad to strip out the carburetor attachment bolts. They are threaded into plastic. I would start by checking this, it can lead to a lean condition consistent with all the problems you have reported.

I’d say sounds like you broke it in too fast. I think with new saws or piston/cylinders you gotta pace em slowly. For example run the saw through a tank let it rest. Run two let it rest. Build from 1 hour, two hours, 4 hours, then 8, 12, ect slowly with at least equal resting time in between its first tanks otherwise things don’t settle in properly and worst case scenario ya cylinders will score and or pistons will blow to smithereins...

Latest posts

Back