Husky 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo15479

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Husky model 55 and need to get a new cylinder and piston kit. Mine just has 55 on it but i know some saws have 55 Rancher on them. Does the same kit fit both saws? Bruce

I have a Husky model 55 and need to get a new cylinder and piston kit. Mine just has 55 on it but i know some saws have 55 Rancher on them. Does the same kit fit both saws? Bruce

They're the same, I think the later 55's were the epa models. The bottom end is the same, just make sure the piston matches the cylinder. The 455 is different, in case you wondered.

The serial number is 4010837. Can anyone tell by that if it is EPA or not. Or if I buy the cylinder and piston as a kit will it work on EPA and NON EPA? The story on this saw was it was going to be thrown in the trash so I got it for free. It has good spark but too low compression to run. If I squirt some oil in through the spark plug hole and put the spark plug back in it will read 120 psi for a couple of pulls. I took the muffler off and the piston is scored and the cylinder looks good from what I can see. I was just going to replace everything and know it is fixed. Bruce

I should have said put the compression tester in and it will read 120 psi. Bruce

That serial number would make it first week of 94 that it came out, I think. You probably can put the regular flat crowned piston in it, 94 wouldn't be an epa model. I think the epa ones you could also put a flat crowned piston in for better performance. If you get lucky saw troll or somebody who knows for sure will spot your thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=79679&highlight=husky+55+rancher

Check out the link, there were 51cc ones too I guess but I doubt yours' is. I know mine is the 53cc one with a 46mm piston ring.

Last edited:
The serial number is 4010837. Can anyone tell by that if it is EPA or not. Or if I buy the cylinder and piston as a kit will it work on EPA and NON EPA? The story on this saw was it was going to be thrown in the trash so I got it for free. It has good spark but too low compression to run. If I squirt some oil in through the spark plug hole and put the spark plug back in it will read 120 psi for a couple of pulls. I took the muffler off and the piston is scored and the cylinder looks good from what I can see. I was just going to replace everything and know it is fixed. Bruce

How scored is the piston? You may be able to get away with cleaning up the cylinder and piston and replacing the ring. Of course before you put any money into it you ought to figure out why it's toasted- bad gas, air leak, etc.

If the bore is not scored the repair might be nothing more than at most a ring and piston.

I bought our 55 off of E-Bay for $75. It was in perfect shape except some of the aluminum from the piston had smeared over the ring. Very little transfered to the jug, and it cleaned right off with a pocket knife.

The piston looked pretty bad at a glance, but cleaned up nicely, as did the ring. I put it back together and it's ran perfectly ever since.

I did check into getting a P/C for it. There were two different bore sizes from what I remember, but my memory isn't all that good these days?

The Husqvarna P/C is going to cost around $180-200, just a little more than half that for aftermarket. Pretty sure Bailey's had them for around $100.....Cliff

503 60 91-72 CYLINDER ASSY (46mm bore & de-comp compatible)=$177.05

NEW OEM

Thanks for all the replies. I do know what happened to the saw. The saw had some mixed gas in the tank and the owner's son topped it off with straight gas. I took it apart and the bottom end looks good but there is some scuffing on the cylinder by the muffler port so I will replace the cylinder and piston. I need to make another post and find out how to tell what carburetor my Husky 61 has on it so I can order a rebuild kit. Bruce

Back