husky 61 with what bar/chain combo? firewood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher80

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey guys, about to place an order with Baileys , but wanted to confirm what you think of my selections.

i have a first generation husqvarna model 61 . 145lb compression . its tuned and ready to go .

i only cut trees already on the ground, and from time to time ones that are choking other trees. i cross-cut 90% of the time , no ripping. i have about 15yrs of firewood experience, and am always cutting sugar maples, hickories, cherries, oaks and beeches.

i picked a 16" long , 3/8" pitch (.375) .058 gauge bar from oregon company ( link- http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORPM 16 HU58 )

it has replaceable tips and its very durable i hear.

for the chain .... WELL , i really wanted to try a full chisel, but decided not to because a lot of my wood is sitting on the ground already and has some dirt where it touches the ground on the bottom . i dont want to dull the heck out of the blade from hitting some dirt. also, i cut about once a week for about an hour, so its nothing crazy where i need the speed.

i decided on a oregon semi chisel .058 gauge chain (link - http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OR375 73DP ) . if i need to ill try a full chisel down the road, but i know how i get the logs laying on the ground so i decided not to.

these items are still in my 'cart' as i will finalize my purchases in a couple days..

any opinions? i know we could debate gauges and so on, but i went with the .058 husky standard to keep it simple.

what you think??? :givebeer:

You're on the right track.

If this is your only or gonna be your main saw I'd suggest jumping up to an 18 inch bar for a little more versatility. Either 16 or 18 will work just fine.

Would also suggest getting a loop or two of full chisel chain along with the semi-chisel, as it cuts much better. Order some of the Woodsman Pro 38RC. Stay away from Oregon chain if you're worried about keeping an edge. I would spend the extra for some Stihl .058 gauge RSC.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back