husky 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needsOIL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Havn`t had my saws out in a long time, ice storm changed thatand now finally feel good enough to cut up trees but won`t start. it is an old husqvarna 61 ( read old as dirt) bought new plug nice blue spark.put a little gas in plug hole and smoke came out w/ old plug put in new plug and nothing...... I did dump gas out thru muffler (ouch) I did get mini mac running but need bigger saw for larger work I am going to take off muffler and make sure it is not plugged, ran saw last spring for one day Thanks BR:greenchainsaw: Oh and is there any parts veiw that I can look at online???????????????

Last edited:
There is a lot of different parts lists for the 61, as they were made a long time.

Do you have an idea when it was made?

Serial number?

Color of top cover?

:chainsaw: OK the top is white ser.no 1983 004729 ..... on the side it says practica piston looks good, muffler is clean:spam: BR:cheers:

Last edited:
Ok ,if you put some gas by the carb or the plug and she still wont fire.It has to be two things,ignition or too low compression.And if it is ignition ,youcan bet on the big black one gone bad.

If fuel mix came out the muffler.... the saw is probably badly flooded and dneed to dry out. May have affected the plug too...make sure it is good and dry...hit the end with some compressed air to dry it out.

If fuel mix came out the muffler.... the saw is probably badly flooded and needs to dry out. May have affected the plug too...make sure it is good and dry...hit the end with some compressed air to dry it out.

That's a good saw!

My dad has been using a 1983 husky 61 a long time,I had it in the wood recently and it will run with my 357xp....hope you're able to get her runnin'.:)

OK I have just cleaned all the electronics, they where full of sawdust and oil, still won`t start, it has a spark, compression is ok I don`t have a gage, but it blows my finger off with a good tug of the rope, I might rebuild it anyway becuase I can hold my finger over hole with a slow pull,or is there a decompression plug??????????????? maybe I`ll go get the Stihl from the farm and iust rebuild later:jawdrop: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy: : ::bang: : :blob2: :sucks: :deadhorse: :

Thanks Bob

Last edited:
OK I have just cleaned all the electronics, they where full of sawdust and oil, still won`t start, it has a spark, compression is ok I don`t have a gage, but it blows my finger off with a good tug of the rope, I might rebuild it anyway becuase I can hold my finger over hole with a slow pull,or is there a decompression plug??????????????? maybe I`ll go get the Stihl from the farm and iust rebuild later:jawdrop: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy: : ::bang: : :blob2: :sucks: :deadhorse: :

Thanks Bob

Don't give up on it. A piston or P/C are cheap at Baileys. Those old Ranchers are well built saws.

Thanks for all the post, hope to have it running soon will keep you posted, hopfully the 051 farmboss will run, we (me and dad ) use to cut all the time thats what we used to heat his house with for a long time, also two uncles, so these saws where ran alot, but uncles have past away and I inherited saws I have health issues and dads getting old, it is fun to read all these post about different saws, I will have that husky running, it is a brute My uncle bought it new and besides him I`m the only one to run it, and the mini mac 35 is what I used when I was 14 after the tree came down to trim. it was pretty cool,we had a michigan 75a front end loader, and an old bread truck to haul wood.ok got to go :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Thanks br

hmmmmmm... i thought the 61 from 1979 had no changes until well after 83. I may be wrong, i know you are the guru!

STK

Maybe not Steve, but there were published several new IPLs in that time - here is the 1982 one, that is most likely to be the right one, based on the serial number.

I didn't look into them, to see if/which differences are there.......

Btw, you are still behind rlauder on the neg rep list.........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :ices_rofl:

Last edited:
Thank you Guys, It should help get that 61 goin` I think Ill rebuild top and bottom Thanks again Bob

:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :fart:

Here is a workshop manual that cover the 61 and several other models.

Since this one is from 1997, the version it covers are newer than yours, but I believe it can be helpfull anyway.....

Last edited:
Thanks sawtroll if I could send you bullets I would LOL still in there case even!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:
Thanks BR

Check compression.. I had a 162 that had a nice looking piston and cylinder but still had low compression, That's the sign of a saw that has been well cared for but just has a lot of hours on it... Do the rope test. Take the bar off, hold the saw up by the rope and see how fast the saw drops to the bottom. If it drops to the bottom fairly rapidly (10 seconds?) you've got compression issues. If it stops pretty solidly numerous times and drops to the bottom in a series of slow bumps over 45 seconds or so, compression is probably not the issue. Its a rough test but without a tester it has some good diagnostic value.

If compression is low, you'll probably get away with a piston. If compression is ok, there is probably not much wrong with your saw....good news!

If that's the case, I'd be thinking fuel system. If it is fuel sustem, you SHOULD be able to get the saw to pop by putting raw mix into the carb throat (be sure to hold the throttle open to make sure the mix goes into the cylinder. HOWEVER, if you use too much, you'll only succeed in flooding the saw. Use only a tablespoon or so. If you DO flood it, take the plug out turn the saw over and pull it over 7 or ten times to clear it.

If the saw has compression and pops, you'll be looking at fuel line and filter, intake stack integrity (otherwise the carb will not pump fuel), and carburetor. These are easy and cheap.

Good luck and nice to have you!

Back