Husky blows up the aftermarket cylinder world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Husky announced to dealers well ahead of time that there would be the usual parts price increase on Jan 1st. So, when I got back to the store today I went into the dealer site to see how bad it was going to be. Most stuff went up as expected, but what they did with the piston and cylinder kits just about knocked me off the chair in front of the computer. Prices are now comparable with much of the aftermarket kits. In some cases better than the upper end kits from Meteor, HiWay and Baileys. They really don't cost me much more than some of the lower end garbage kits do. Some have gone down over $100. I'm told it's not a mistake and that sources have not changed. But I still get that "I hope this lasts" feeling that won't go away. I even just went back in to check them again. LOL! But, as long as the party lasts, you can get the OEM kits for about what the aftermarket kits are selling for. From some dealers anyway. ;)

Now, this is on the complete piston and cylinder kits. The piston prices really didn't change that much; dropped maybe $5-$10. So, there are a lot of instances where the complete kit only costs $30-$40 more than just buying the piston.

I'll be ordering some tomorrow..........

Mabe the aftermarket world is too much competition so they lowered price.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Oh Yeah. I bet that this is a response to all of that stuff that's out there. A lot of their own dealers were buying aftermarket for shop work. Not all of them were upfront about it with their customers either.

At least one good news from Husky!!!
Today I learned the lesson that 242 gasket set is NLA, damn how angry I was! Reminded me of the stupid 242 bearing.

Speaking about piston price drop, are 242/254/262 piston in that drop?

Canadian dealers are greedy. Everything is so expensive it's rediculous. When the stihl pistons dropped in cost I expected to see it here. No such thing. It really is time to just order everything state side. Give the dealers here a reason the charge so much. A 372XT P/C here costs as much as a whole saw state side.

At least one good news from Husky!!!
Today I learned the lesson that 242 gasket set is NLA, damn how angry I was! Reminded me of the stupid 242 bearing.

Speaking about piston price drop, are 242/254/262 piston in that drop?

242 piston is NLA. Not sure on the other 2 prices.

Very simple. At least here Husqvarna was seeing their network fall to pieces because of insanely high spare prices and an inflexible pricing policy.
Dealers have to put food on the table like everybody else so they had been switching to Stihl and Echo/Shindaiwa to keep their customers, chiefly gardening/tree servicing firms.
No problems here, as the only surviving Husqvarna dealership in the area would manage to mark up even the cheapest, nastiest Chinese saw to Stihl levels and charge you as much as a Ferrari dealership for parts and service. No small wonder they started selling electric vehicles to stay in business. :D

Now, if only Honda would price spares here at the same level as in the US...

Any price drop will hit the UK in about two years time , when most of the parts will be obsolete !!
Most of the dealers around here would rather loose a sale than give a decent discount.

BUT when you can get an OEM cylinder for AM prices.....what's the point of AM again? I think its going to depend on the dealers. Some will be seeing this as an advantage and some more margins. The AM market will always be a plan "B" for those who don't have good dealer support. A way to get parts otherwise unavailable or unaffordable. For the DIY types, this could be huge as most of what happens is new top ends on old saws in that world. AND for the 372 enthusuasts... :)

Well, I was amazed at what OEM pistons and cylinder cost compared to a Meteor piston/cyl kit when I did my firs rebuild on a 394 recently...

I have to say, the thought of OEM now being on par with quality AM is equally amazing!

I have been into wheelers and other types of powersports for quite a few years. I'm no racer or anything like that, I just like to do my own wrenching/building and go fast when I ride for recreation.. NEVER in my experience has OEM parts been in the same ballpark as quality aftermarket stuff as far as price. This is quite out of the ordinary, but cool! I have a good Husky dealer just a 15 minute drive from me and I usually like to give them business as they have always been good to me.

I hope my dealer gets this as I have ordered 2 oem p/c's for 346 in last 2 months at 232.92 each!

How about a new list price of $105? (My COST used to be $170)

The rub here for some is that if you have stuff in stock, the new retail is much lower than the previous dealer cost. Nobody wants to lose $65, so understand that if you buy locally. I sell a lot of kits, so the few I have will get lost in the sauce. Also, a dealer needs to look at the new price list. If he's going by a list previously down loaded in his computer he'll think your crazy.

Latest posts

Back