husky chainsaws from lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just in the Norfolk, VA airport and saw a Stihl ad. It made me think of this thread. It went the something like this: "Why are Stihl chainsaws not sold at Lowes or The Home Depot?" "We'll give you 8000 reasons why... our legion of independent service dealers nationwide." Hey, that ad must be a reactiion to what's being said here, and it must be working if I remembered enough to regurgitate it here. Now they need to back it up.

I just purchased a new 350. I don't have a local Husky dealer unless you consider 60 miles local. There is a Stihl dealer 25 miles away, but the price difference for the same caliber saw was significant. I checked the Lowe's price online and then I ordered from Bailey's. I could order that saw from Bailey's for less than the price at Lowes. I don't make my living with a saw so I didn't need Pro quality but the 350 has some nice features (decompression and adjustable oiler to name a couple) and will meet my needs. If I need service it will not be convenient but I have other saws and since I am not relying on it for grocery money I can deal with that. Hopefully I purchased a good quality product and it won't be an issue. So I have to give a plug to one of the site sponsers. :)

t-stumpin said:
I was just in the Norfolk, VA airport and saw a Stihl ad. It made me think of this thread. It went the something like this: "Why are Stihl chainsaws not sold at Lowes or The Home Depot?" "We'll give you 8000 reasons why... our legion of independent service dealers nationwide." Hey, that ad must be a reactiion to what's being said here, and it must be working if I remembered enough to regurgitate it here. Now they need to back it up.

No disrespect to anyone intended, but that is also 8000 reasons to overcharge if you ask me...

I like competition in the world - I like being able to buy my saws on line, or at a store, or at a saw dealer - it should be my choice and not something forced upon me by a manufacturer... :angry:

Stihl should send out mystery shoppers to dealers that have been causing some static, would solve some problems. If you like competition, start selling Poulans. Then you can be there with a catchers uniform dealing with knuckle draggers who are fired up because they baught a saw that wasn't set up or tuned properly. Now they figure you owe them because you are a dealer. At best you sell an oil cap, now you can take the rest of the day off.

There is a lot which goes into buying a chainsaw, especially at the higher end.

Many people may not be familiar with different gauges of chains/bars, types of chains available, and types of bars available.

A dealer can "interview" the customer and learn what the intended use of the saw will be. Included in this is *which company* will you be doing work for. A dealer can also get an idea if you are going to use safety precautions when using the saw or not.

So if the customer is a homeowner who is not interested in learning about safety, then it might be a good idea to sell them a low kickback chain and bar.

Or if the customer is only doing work for a specific local company, and that company only uses .063 gauge chain/bars, then the dealer would know that you should buy the same gauge, or at least ask/point this out.

Or if buying a longer bar, the dealer would know which chain would work best for the model of saw, length of bar, type of bar, etc.

In my case, I have not tried every single model of saw with various models of bars and chains, so I have no idea what is best for which model of saw. I need as much help as I can get! And I welcome their expertise...

Billy_Bob said:
There is a lot which goes into buying a chainsaw, especially at the higher end.

Many people may not be familiar with different gauges of chains/bars, types of chains available, and types of bars available.

A dealer can "interview" the customer and learn what the intended use of the saw will be. Included in this is *which company* will you be doing work for. A dealer can also get an idea if you are going to use safety precautions when using the saw or not.

So if the customer is a homeowner who is not interested in learning about safety, then it might be a good idea to sell them a low kickback chain and bar.

Or if the customer is only doing work for a specific local company, and that company only uses .063 gauge chain/bars, then the dealer would know that you should buy the same gauge, or at least ask/point this out.

Or if buying a longer bar, the dealer would know which chain would work best for the model of saw, length of bar, type of bar, etc.

In my case, I have not tried every single model of saw with various models of bars and chains, so I have no idea what is best for which model of saw. I need as much help as I can get! And I welcome their expertise...

That is indeed all fine and good - but I still want the choice to do this, not have it be my only option. :cool:

Next thing you know the US Department of Condescending Paternalism will regulate you to buying from a dealer - what next? :dizzy:

Back