Husky Guy Bought a Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have oregon and stihl. I have to sharpen my stihl less often than the oregon. I have also lost a cutter teeth on a new oregon chain, never hit anything that I could tell. Just seems to be softer metal.

I think Carlton holds up better than Oregon in semi chisel but this will be a new comparison to me. I didn't "need" full chisel until you guys talked me into it lol

Last Stihl chain I bought at the dealer here I paid a bit over $30. 68 driver loops for 18" bars. I normally run the semi chisel (rm?) Since it lasts much longer between sharpenings.

I think Stihl chain is faster out of the box but it's hard to beat Oregon chain as long as it's made in Canada as the U.S made Oregon bars and chain are sub par due to the low grade metal they use there.

Conspiracy theory: That seems a shade high. Your alls bar oil is $5 a gallon, but they are gouging you on the chains?

I am paying under $20 for 28" worth of Oregon round ground full-skip chisel, just sayin'. Or did I mss something?

Stihl RS for me. I tried a couple loops of Husky last year and liked them too. They seemed easier to file than the Stihl product, so I guess as many folks say, they may be softer. I don't think they dulled any quicker though.

If I shop around I'm sure I could. One of the troubles is finding vendors that will ship to AK, and the ones that do, to use Postal vs UPS for a reasonable cost.

I can't edit, but the chains I run might be 66 drivers, I had said 68. It's been a while since I'd had to make some loops and my memory isn't the best.

That would make me pay attention!

Can you get it shipped in for less?

I try to shop around and have at least 4 chains in the rotation at a time.

Found some 91VXL for $11.xx a loop this winter for my smaller saw. Man that was a good deal.

If I shop around I'm sure I could. One of the troubles is finding vendors that will ship to AK, and the ones that do, to use Postal vs UPS for a reasonable cost.

I can't edit, but the chains I run might be 66 drivers, I had said 68. It's been a while since I'd had to make some loops and my memory isn't the best.

But you're in AK... Here 91 drivers of 3/8 is $30.

Love Palmer by the way. Not just because that's my last name but it's so beautiful. I got family around there too.

But you're in AK... Here 91 drivers of 3/8 is $30.

Love Palmer by the way. Not just because that's my last name but it's so beautiful. I got family around there too.

Cool!

I moved up to AK about 15 years ago with the USAF and never wanted to leave!

Back