Husky or Stihl...you decide.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TopJimmy said:
One more thought on the Stihl vs Husky. I think that if there were an objective way to measure each saw, we would find that certain models of each brand would come out on top. Stihl 200T is one that comes to mind.

Jim

We'd have to first determine what is most important and by how much. Sort feature by feature in a "weighted value" way. Is power-to-weight more important than efficciency or vibration levels or noise levels or than another feature or characteristic, and by how much? What's important to one guy does not mean squat to the next. My MS290, for example, is a good machine for me due to it's affordability, reputation for reliablility, and adequate power. Other guys would readily poo-poo that notion, as affordablity means nothing (perhaps because the relative affordablilty to me just would not be ther in a pro or logging environment). I hear what you're sayin' but it would be one tough nut to crack. Perhaps a class-by class run-down would work, but defining class upper and lower limits would be tough, too. Sounds like fun, but it would be a data collection nightmare.

Bump r,
I agree that the data would be impossible to collect. The members here would never agree on what would be and how it would be measured. I think you got my basic point that specific models of a specific brand may be better than competing brand. But your point is well taken that no two individual users and situations are going to have equal results. To sum it up, no one brand is best for all situations and people. I like a little variety, but others benefit from keeping it simple and to one brand.

Jim

RED-85-Z51 said:
So alot of people Like Dolmars right?

Dont they make the saws for Makita, that are sold used at Home Depots?

Im getting one soon.:clap:

Local HD has 10 waiting for sale, just waiting for the nod from the reginal office.:cry:

I personally havent used many Husky's, but the ones I have used were nice, started okay, ran smooth, quieter than the stihls.

Stihls Ive run are a few 044's, an 066, miscellanious smaller models...and they were too bulky to me.

That saw that home depot sells is the DCS 6401 (dcs stand for Dolmar chain saw)

Is is the same as the Dolmar 6400. It is the same saw as the 6400, 7300, and 7900, just the bores are differant. My 7900 used to be a home depot makita 6401. I have less than 400 is my setup. It is an awesome saw.

Freakingstang said:
That saw that home depot sells is the DCS 6401 (dcs stand for Dolmar chain saw)

Is is the same as the Dolmar 6400. It is the same saw as the 6400, 7300, and 7900, just the bores are differant. My 7900 used to be a home depot makita 6401. I have less than 400 is my setup. It is an awesome saw.

It looks NICE..about what is it equivalent to in the husky/stihl lineup?

RED-85-Z51 said:
It looks NICE..about what is it equivalent to in the husky/stihl lineup?

6401 = 365. The 365 may have the edge by a slight amount.

I love my 7900 though

6401/6400 =64cc
7300 =73cc
7900=79cc

One more positive for Stihl, they seem to really hold there value, especially on Ebay. I love to buy new saws, but I am not opposed to picking up a good buy on Ebay, but for what most of the Stihl's that I have watched go for, I may as well buy new. For this reason I rarely even look at Stihl's on Ebay. Husky's and Dolmar on Ebay seem like a lot more bang for the buck.

Jim

Freakingstang said:
6401 = 365. The 365 may have the edge by a slight amount. ...
The 6400/6401 weight about 2/3 of a pound (.3 kg) more than the 365, in case you care, has .1 kw less max power output according to KWF/DLG test reports.

There are no equivalent in the Stihl line-up, as the 390 isn't in the same leage at all, except for the ccs.

Latest posts

Back