Husky saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Iam a stihl man by birth. But iam looking at getting a good saw to do about 30 plus cords a year. Iam thinking 359 or 357xp. I will also be running my 036pro stihl that is about the same range as these two huskys mentioned. The big question is what is the difference in these saws. The only thing i see is 100 bucks out the door for the same machine. Ive done all the research and no one even husky usa web site does not tell you anything different in the two models.....please advise me on what one is worth the money and that i should get for my firewood needs. 30 cords a year 12-28inch logs

359** Cylinder displacement 3.6 cu.inch / 59.0 cm³
Power 3.9 hp / 2.9 kW Maximum recommended engine speed 13500 weight: 12.1 lbs
357XP**Cylinder displacement 3.45 cu.inch / 56.5 cm³
Power 4.4 hp / 3.2 kW
Maximum recommended engine speed 14 000 mm
weight 12.1 lbs The 357xp is faster / higher rmp

As you can see the 357XP is 4.4 hp and the 359 is 3.9 hp .of the same weight. So the 357xp is faster and has over 1/2 hp over the 359. More power + faster speed =

sloth9669, $100 difference, the main difference is the cylinder. The cylinder on the XP is a full round type and milled out for the fuel delivery thus giving more horsepower for the same weight as th 359. In short it's a modifed version (completely different piston and cylinder). If you don't think you need the power of the 357XP, I'd look at the Dolmar PS-5100S which is almost a POUND lighter than the 359 and has MORE horsepower.

bigger saw

by no means am i going to say no to a larger saw but the one i have now of the same size handles 20 cords a year no issue a second saw is for a second person to up production....do you think a larger saw is really needed and worth the money if so what say and brand do you all recommend in the 70cc range ??

differences

Welllllll almost, It is true that the 357 has a better transfer port I don't think it acounts for the difference in and of itself the 359 actually has bigger transfer ducts. It is also interesting to note that they both have the same port timing and the 359 has a 1mm bigger bore. So why does the 357 make a 1/2 horse more with a smaller motor? The base compression ratio. The 357 has less crankcase area which will produce more power but at the expense of powerband width. The 357 also has an automatic decompressor, while the 359 has a manual decomp. Someone has commented that the 5100 has more power which it does have more rated horsepower. But the .1hp difference could easily be negated from model to model or even by the manufacturer inflating or deflating the specs. The weight difference is real, but irrelevent in a blocking role. The 359 is likely to posess more torque than the 5100 and that will help when blocking. Don't get me wrong the 5100 is a nice saw, I don't know if it is the right one here. The 359 also has a horribly choked up muffler that will yield some nice results if opened up. I do like the comment about getting a bigger saw. Get a 372 if you can, I wish I could justify getting one but the wood around here is seldom big enough. If you don't need one either get a 359.

buck

muffler mod

Check out the 359 muffler mods on this site.I did mine and I basically cut red oak.The saw is an animal for what it is.I've cut about 5 cord with it after the mod and no problems.The price was right,horse power was right and the weight and BALANCE was right with a 20" bar.After the mod you should be on the heavy side of 4 1/2 HP.
Ed

Latest posts

Back