Husky starting techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the wise crack i've been hearin' for years "that husky i just got is the best saw i ever had, if i could just get it going "

when it comes in to the shop with gas running out the muffler i tell the "heated" owner he missed his "window of opportunity" or he has not learned the correct starting technique. all kidding aside.... husqvarna's each model have their own starting characteristics's the owner has to master.

My Boys all start well.Even my 61,with its stout compression,can be coaxed with the ''slow pull''technique.I pull them through 4-6 times with choke on ,then pull normal speed.This cold start only method works well for me and also works well for me at work with TS400 cutoff saws,which seem to take 6 to 10 pulls without this method,3to 6 with it.Warm start 1or 2 always.The 7900 I have requires you pay attention closely for the pop of a cold start,or it will flood every time,Lots of performance means no forgiveness.:bowdown:

Well, I let the saw rest overnight with the spark plug pulled. I did as instructed, and pulled it a couple times with the choke until I heard a small pop. I guess that I had heard this in the past, and just assumed a few more pulls and we'd be in business. What changed is this time I pushed the choke in and the very next pull Huskie started right up! Very cool!

Thanks so much guys, I owe you one.

I will reaffirm what Blis said up above, LEAVE THAT DARN COMPRESSION RELEASE ALONE!!!!! That thing is more of a pain than anything, it's not like you're trying to start a 100cc saw for petes sake.

Follow the starting procedures given you by the several posters in this thread and pay special heed to SawTrolls post about going off of full choke to fast idle.

All of my Husky saws start as described in this thread, and I never use the compression release ever.

Chuck

Ah, I have a 3120, I ALWAYS use the decomp. But, back on topic. All these guys are basically right. If it pops, pull off the choke. If you THINK it popped, pull off the choke. When it's cold, you are looking at 5-6 pulls. When it's warmed up, one short one.

Mark

Gut the muffler or buy a non EPA muffler. Those Green Weeny mufflers make them a real bear to start. You would also like the saw more in the end.

I almost never have a prob with the compression relase on them. I find it easier to start using the release than ignoring it.

That 262xp has to be pretty old, if it doesn't have a decomp valve. I believe you have to change out the cylinder with the newer versin, to get one.

Take a look at the tank vent also, just in case.......

I came across a unit that according to the serial number was a 96' model but it had no decompression valve.

I came across a unit that according to the serial number was a 96' model but it had no decompression valve.

Sounds like an oddball, maybe special order for some distributer, organisation etc......

...or maybe it has been rebuilt with an old stock cylinder??:greenchainsaw:

The decomp valve appeared in 1994, or maybe 1993, but a plug instead of the valve was optional.

Last edited:
Back