Husky vs. Stihl vs. Jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vote goes with the ms 290 It was one of my first real saws and it ran great. From what I have heard around here the 455 is a piece of junk and not worth the hisky name. I have never run a johnsered saw so I can't give you a accurate discription of that saw. My vote would be the 290.

I don't know anything about the Husky or Jonsreds, but I like my MS390. It's like the 290 same weight only a bit more power. My boss has a 290 and has cut lots of firewood with it. I won't recommend the 290 since I don't know that the other 2 saws are not as good as it, but if it were me, I'd buy the Stihl, but that's cause I like Stihl. The husky and Jonsred will probably be pretty similar unless you are comparing soemthing from the Husky homeowner lineup with something in the Jonsred pro lineup or vice versa.

I only know the 290. We sell lots of them to homeowners and and never hear anything but good. Will be a great saw for 10 cords or more a year, for many years.

The Jonsered is the smallest of the saws you listed and the lightest. Not really a straight up comparison...apples and oranges you know.

J-red is 49cc, but has plastic crankcase which I don't think holds up over the long haul. I'd pay the extra $$$ for the 2152 and magnesium case. If you believe you may be in a different situation in 3 or 4 years and not need the saw so much, 2150 is OK bet, but at 10 cords/year any 50cc saw is a little light. 50cc's will do the job, but have to work pretty hard...it's a lot more comfortable with the next size up...

290 is kinda heavy for 50cc saw and is Stihl's consumer-grade saw. Basic chassis same as 390, update of 029/039 saws. I will say that my BIL's 039 keeps coming back for more abuse, so they must hold up well, even if they aren't a top-level performer.

I have no experience with 455, except what folks here say. I imagine Husqvarna would refuse to market a true dog that didn't hold up in testing. I know a pulper that used to use Husky 55's, which was also eventually considered a consumer saw; if the 455 intended to replace it they'd have to engineer at least some of the 55's steady dependability in.

Actually, if I was in the market for a new saw in that size range, I'd call around...there may be a few regular old 55's at a good price somewhere near you. It hasn't been a year yet since they dropped from the catalog....

If you are going to be running the thing through ten cords a year, I would suggest a bit more saw (unless you are only cutting really small logs...)
A Husky 365 is a good workhorse that should last many years, and is priced quite reasonably. It also has a bit more versatility in the instances where you want to run longer bar...

I've not used a Husky before and only borrowed a J-Red for a day. Have a MS290 for 3 years (18"bar with .325 chain) and only cut 3 cords a year. The MS-290 recently cut several cords of 32" oak, though it required a bit of patience and sharp chains. I like the MS-290 because it never complains and will not stop. Won't get a J-Red because that one tried to cut my leg (operator error, no doubt).

heres my view- jonsred2150 (same as husky 350 only in red and a straight across handle bar) nice lightwieght homeowners saw. too small for your 10 cords a year, it "will"work but take much longer. Husky 455-still unproven as to where this saw falls into place, some like it others don`t don`t. at 3.4 hp and 12.1lb somewhat low hp for a heavier saw in its class. once again it will work but there are better choices. Stihl ms290- proven saw ,a little heavy at 13lbs but 3.75 hp it will work much better than the other two and at around $329.00 retail its a better buy in my opinion. I prefer the husky line but in this case the ms290 gets the nod.

If your planning on keeping and running the saw for a long time, I would really suggest you look at professional grade saws. Not that homeowner saws are bad; it just seems that over the long haul professional grade saws hold up better, run better, and have fewer problems. Which they should, their components are of higher quality and the saws are built better - that's what your paying for. You might want to consider a Husky 359 (Bailey's had a good sale on them,don't know if they still do) or Stihl 361.

ill agree . for 10 cords id go a little more muscle. 361 . gets good reports. i myself owned
the 036 and found it to have everything for fire wood.my 028 was fine also as is the 026. different saws . just use your choice and u will get so it is a part of you. thats when u get the best out of a saw.

if i were going to buy a new saw i would take a good long look at the new dolmar ps-5100 s.

when my little mac 4900 bites it i will buy the dolmar.

Wood Cutter said:
....I will be using it to cut firewood, about 10 cords a year.
It would be nice if you told us how big the wood you are going to cut is (max and average).
Othervice it is hard to give you valid advice.

Back