Husky vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire Bug

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the market to replace my McColloch Eager Beaver 3.7,(20"-bar), Saw. It's served me well and I will keep it as a backup. I like the power of this saw and the longer bar.
I am looking at the Stihl MS290 and the MS310. I am also looking at the Husqvarna 350e, 353, 455 Rancher, and possibly the 359.
It looks like the 350e is comparable with the MS029 and the 359 is comparable to the MS310. I guess the 455 Rancher fits in between these saws. I believe the specs. show the Stihls as haveing more horsepower.
I have a two acre wooded lot as my residence and a 46 parcel that is 26 acres of woods. I also burn a woodstove for suplemnental heat. There seems like there is some thing to cut up for firewood on these parcels and I don't want to sell myself short with an underpowered saw.
Thanks,
Fire Bug

If you will do a search of this web site, you will find several threads that discuss this issue. In fact just scroll down a ways and you will find one of them that was covered in the past few days. There are no unbiased people on this forum in my humble opinion. I am a Stihl person and hate all 'orange' handled Stihl saws. I own two 361's and of course I'm unbiased, go buy one or two of them and live happily ever after.

You will get just as many nice things said about the Husky, Dolmar, etc etc etc. This is opening Pandora's Box for the umpteenth time.

im a husky fan myself, but after holding the newer style saws i can not stand their control lever system. it just feels like its going to break all the time.
as for the stihl models you listed, you might be better getting a used well checked over pro model stihl like an 036. the best way to check a stihl out is get ahold of a Torx T27 bit in a screwdriver or similar and pull the muffler cover off and inspect the piston for any scuffing or scratching. have a flashlight handy and check out the cylinder while you have the muffler cover off. you will get much more life and abuse tolerance out of the pro models (even numbers, like 036 or MS360, the MS361 is an exception to this guide)
the 026 is a good saw that might be up to your work. especially if you at least have the muffler dual ported. you may also check out the other good brands like dolmar, solo, echo. the more brands you like, the more toys you get to play with!

Fire bug, you old arsonist how are ya. Not gonna go Husky/Stihl for the millionth time. Just an observation, you have 28 acres of wood, you don't want an underpowered saw, but you are looking at smaller non pro saws. No replacement for displacement, step up to at least the 60cc size.

I'd say to really replace that Eager Beaver you want an MS390 from the Homeowner or Occaisonal user line or a 361 from their pro outfit which is a better saw for a few more bucks. MS290 is a great saw, so is the 310, and those Huskys are probably good too, but they are on the small side for what you're telling us about.
J.D.

Stihl, Husky or Jonsered all great saws. Go with a pro saw, But most of all.
Go with a dealer that will support you. Firewood is demanding on a saw.

The 361 I always hear good about, I only ran a new one for about half a day. I took a pickup from work to help the guy running a hoe with a brushcutter head do some utility work, my boss told me the saws were in the truck. One was an almost brand new 361 with a 24" bar, the chain was toast, I put a new chain on it and went to work. The chain came off at high rpm, I should have tightened it, you know how new chains loosen. I put it back on then I saw gas leaking. The chain had cut a little hole in the gas tank, end of the story, back in the truck, told me all I need to know. Probably a great saw for firewood, just a bad first impression, I like Husky on the ground and Stihl in the tree.

1. Go with a trustworthy dealer who can support you. Your overall satisfaction is not primarily determined by the purchase price. You might spend more time discovering a great dealer in your area then actually choosing the saw.

2. Go with a saw that you are happy with the weight of. It may be easier for you to hold a smaller saw for a longer time than a big saw for a short time.

3. Go with a brand + model your friends won't make fun of. :) (of course, it would be pretty cool to have a pink "Barbie" brand saw that cut twice as fast as a big Stihl or Husky. Let me know if you find one... )

clearance said:
The 361 I always hear good about, I only ran a new one for about half a day. I took a pickup from work to help the guy running a hoe with a brushcutter head do some utility work, my boss told me the saws were in the truck. One was an almost brand new 361 with a 24" bar, the chain was toast, I put a new chain on it and went to work. The chain came off at high rpm, I should have tightened it, you know how new chains loosen. I put it back on then I saw gas leaking. The chain had cut a little hole in the gas tank, end of the story, back in the truck, told me all I need to know. Probably a great saw for firewood, just a bad first impression, I like Husky on the ground and Stihl in the tree.

How did you get a hole in the gas tank? To get to the gas tank you must have blown through the rear rubber protector, through the rear of the side cover, and then though the tank.. unless you wrapped it around the bottom. Yikes...

I see a lot of abused 361's, but not chain strikes though the gas tank, yet.

04ultra said:
Never had issues with my saws.. Warranty didnt mean a thing to me. Stihls that is..

Considering the number of units we've sold of the past years, It aways amazes me how little warranty work we get, and when we do it's usually for something stupid like a bent fuel hose. A few coils now and then, but they have a lifetime warranty so you'd expect a few.

Stopped in by the local Husky dealer on Monday and he said its not the pro saws its the damn homeowners.. Hes pissed because the box stores sell them and he gets stuck with there warranty work.. The companys dont pay good for that type of repairs..

Arnie, you do to much good to be running the bag off a saw all day, everyday, if they can take a beating and keep on cutting the get the green light from me. MS200T, Any Husky 200 series XP saw, any one, Stihl 034, thats some winners right there. Lakeside, I was stump jumping with the saw, rev the saw, slice right thru-no other cuts. It also didn't have the quick rev up like a Husky, but that isn't needed for firewood.

clearance said:
Arnie, you do to much good to be running the bag off a saw all day, everyday, if they can take a beating and keep on cutting the get the green light from me. MS200T, Any Husky 200 series XP saw, any one, Stihl 034, thats some winners right there. Lakeside, I was stump jumping with the saw, rev the saw, slice right thru-no other cuts. It also didn't have the quick rev up like a Husky, but that isn't needed for firewood.

Awe shux thx. I'm all tingly now. LOL.:cheers:

Are these post ever gonna end? I mean, do a search! I have a couple husky's, a couple stihl's and a couple dolmars. They are all good saws.

A saw is only as good as the maintence it recieves.....

Basically i feel its a ford/chevy thing. I run both Stihl and Husky and they both are great saws. However up here in the Pacific Northwest i sell Stihl and of course i recommend them. Mainly because there is only one Husky dealer i know of and they havent been around a long time..so parts can be kind of a pain to get. But all in all its a lot of personal preference.

Back