Husqavrna 455 brake sticking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This not I forgot to release brake before taking cover off.

Chain was not turning. Cover was hard to get off. After releasing brake. I got it off. Blew out. Put back on. Worked for short time.

Started when cutting big poplar. Brake lever may have been close to engaging, because to close. Looks to me like brake band is all the out. Spring seems little weak that returns brake lever.

Suggestions? Most stuff is people forgetting to release brake before taking cover off. Which i have done. Thanks
2006 455

Started when cutting big poplar. Brake lever may have been close to engaging, because to close. Looks to me like brake band is all the out. Spring seems little weak that returns brake lever.
This is just confusing. The brake is reset to "off" by pulling the brake handle back until it clicks and latches the main drive spring in it's off position. There is a detent spring that just holds the brake handle in it's central position but has NOTHING to do with resetting the brake.

The brake is not resetting all the time. It is staying on sometimes. Anything I can do other than just buy the all the parts and replace? Is there something that I can look at in the brake system ?

This is just confusing. The brake is reset to "off" by pulling the brake handle back until it clicks and latches the main drive spring in it's off position. There is a detent spring that just holds the brake handle in it's central position but has NOTHING to do with resetting the brake.
Ignore the part about spring and release. To much information.

Brake clicks but does not release. My next guess is take apart the cover unless someone has suggrstion.

Take it apart and check for broken spring, band end, pins, etc.1600790169677.png1600790169677.png

That's what I figured. No magic cure. I carried on with other saw. I'll take it apart at home and look thanks for diagram

Actually I think it is the gear on end of bar. Very hard to turn by hand. My 545 spins easy with chain off. Cover comes off easier o 545. But brake looks released on 455.

Is it possible I over heated it, was cutting big poplar? I did oil it a few weeks ago, but I don't oil it often.

Hub spins easy. Last test run, smoke came out cover, which led me to thnk brake was on.

Sprocket on the end of the bar should spin easily, try soaking it with WD40 and wiggling it back and forth to get it free then lube it with grease if it has grease holes (most do). If it won't free up, you need a new bar. If the chain isn't free to run along the bar, it is exactly the same as having the brake on and it will seriously overheat the clutch. Before starting a saw, it is a good idea pull the chain along the bar to make sure the chain is free and not adjusted too tight.

It seemed in consistent with how easy it would pull. I do check chain slack often. My saws get used some what regularly.

How woukd I know if I damaged clutch?

I lubed tip few weeks ago. But I don't do it regular.

I pulled clutch off. Looks ok to me, as far as I can tell. Sprocket had some teeth marks so order clutch drum and bearing since it is apart. I am going to put new bar on . I'll try cleaning old one. I like spares, I am 45 miles from town. I don't always have back up saw.

I think the issue was bar. Find out.

Brake cleaned and lubed tip. Turns better, but tight at times. Save it for if tree falls in bad spot.

Bent crank? Something not true?
New bar, sprocket, and chain. Still tight. Sometimes will run before tightening up.

I put bar and chain on without cover. So not the brake.

Almost seems like chain is not running in line with bar.

Some pics of a chainsaw

Attachments

• 20201011_083842.jpg
    20201011_083842.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201011_083855.jpg
    20201011_083855.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 11
Could the studs be a little bent? Odd thing is sometimes it runs for a while then tightens up. Sometimes it is tight right on bench.

Could the studs be a little bent? Odd thing is sometimes it runs for a while then tightens up. Sometimes it is tight right on bench.
So your saying it tightens up when you turn it by hand or when you’re cutting? Sounds like your not getting oil to the bar. It would explain why your sprocket on the old one sized up

I tried a .325 chain and bar on a clutch that was 3/8...my bad...but it acted like that...I was sure the clutch was .325...until I really checked it....

Sometimes it turns ok by hand. Sometimes take it apart put back together and runs for a little bit. Some times right on bench.

The other tip was 14 years old.

I'll start it and see if using oil. I have oiler turned all the way up.

Also seems like little harder to turn backwards. My 545 doesn't seem to care.

Latest posts

Back