Husqvarna 136 oil pump problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMSmith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 10 year old Husqvarna 136 has had only occasional amateur use. The bar started to run dry – no oil issuing from oiler hole onto bar. Dismantled oil pump – stripped worm gear. Ordered a new one (non-OEM) from reputable eBay member. It came with new one piece rubber mounting block/pickup tube & filter – the old one was a 2 piece arrangement.

Fitted new pump – ran engine. Oil appeared at outlet from pump with engine running – great. Replaced metal plate covering rubber block over bar studs. Replaced clutch etc. Left overnight – bar oil leaked out everywhere!

Read that leaks around the oil pump shaft are not unusual. Recommended to use a little liquid gasket to seal between oil pump shaft and rubber block. Did so sparingly – kept well away from oil pump intake and delivery holes. Result – no leaks but now no oil being delivered up to bar oiling hole.

Got a replacement pump from the same supplier. Fitted new pump – with metal cover plate fitted oil leaks from bottom of rubber housing – nothing going up to bar delivery hole. Put a little liquid gasket seal on again – stops leak at bottom but still no oil appearing where it should!

No sign of damage on replacement pump #1

What am I doing wrong?

I do have a concern re the size of the new rubber mounting block. When firmly located in the hard plastic crankcase housing, it stands ~ 2mm proud of the surface of the hard plastic. The moulded delivery channel stands another 1mm proud again. It’s as if the block is too big – I would have expected the main body of the rubber housing and the hard plastic to be flush? Maybe when the metal cover plate and bar are installed, everything is being squashed down too much and closing over the intake and delivery holes? Unfortunately I binned the original 2 piece rubber block so can’t make a comparison!!

It’s not an issue of blocked hole in bar itself as (a) the bar oil hole isn’t blocked and (b) there is no oil flow to the bar in the first place!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Back