Husqvarna 136

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazdmc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Although I have used chainsaws for a number of years they have always been borrowed from friends or relatives. I decided to buy myself one and came accross and purchased a Husky 136 second hand. I will only be using it for chopping up logs for firewood and no felling of trees, I also have all the relevant safety gear which I always use when handling a chainsaw. Can anyone give me some more info on this particular saw, it works pretty good for what I am using it for, but how good is it. It is in pretty good condition and has a brand new Oregan bar and chain fitted. Any hints tips or things to look out for on this saw would be much appreciated
thanks in advance
daz

Well, it isn't much of a saw quality-wise, it is pretty much a Poulan Wild-thing
dipped in Orange, but I know a lot of people that are happy with the
service they get, but I wouldn't throw a lot of money into it. Hopefully you
got it at a good price.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but it is a cheap homeowner saw. But if you treat it right, it will serve you well.

Hang out here for a while and you will have more saws, soon you will have dreams of 3120's.

If you cutting on allot of wood, you may want to upgrade, and use that 136 as backup, small saw. Lots of great saws out there, if you do decide to upgrade, Husky or Stihl is great, go with what dealer support is local if you need them for your repairs.

I am sorry but many people here will try to tell you that it is worthless poulan cr@p wild thingy.

THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!

It is a fact that it is assembled at the poulan plant but no one here sofar has showed any proof that parts are interchangble! Maybe the bar&chain but I don't know.

It has a forged steel crankshaft like all the prof. models. Of course it isn't a professional model it is a consumer grade model not intended for 6 days a week 8hrs/day. It only is a 36ccm engine with 2.2hp so cutting will be slower than with a 50-60-or 70ccm engine but if you are patient the work will be done.

I have a Stihl MS180 2hp. Look what other people cut with this class of saw
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=vVRLdrQcrsU
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhDVHoiEi8
that is a lot of wood.

On this site everyone believes that if you don't have a min. 700$ prof. grade saw you only own a rose pruner. If it is in good shape use it as long as it lasts. I know quite a few people who have had them for years without any faults. It has an ajustable carb so you can react to changing altitudes or fuel situations.

If the chain is sharp you will cut many cords of wood before it wears out!!! Keep it out of the dirt, keep it sharp, buy a high quality chain and don't fall for the small p€nnis syndrom demonstrated all to often on this site.

I will appologize in advance to all whom I may have insulted this was just a personal statement.

7sleeper

Although I have used chainsaws for a number of years they have always been borrowed from friends or relatives. I decided to buy myself one and came accross and purchased a Husky 136 second hand. I will only be using it for chopping up logs for firewood and no felling of trees, I also have all the relevant safety gear which I always use when handling a chainsaw. Can anyone give me some more info on this particular saw, it works pretty good for what I am using it for, but how good is it. It is in pretty good condition and has a brand new Oregan bar and chain fitted. Any hints tips or things to look out for on this saw would be much appreciated
thanks in advance
daz
All I can say is you seem like a smart man. Nothing wrong with a small Husky home owner type saw I use Poulans and have a small 32cc Mac I bought in 1991 still going strong I might add! That little Mac 32cc saw has cut 50 or more truck loads, full sized 8'x6'x36'' of firewood. Conservative est would be 50 or about 30 full cords of wood for a cheap little saw not bad!
I have owned all the big name brands. I personally find all of them pretty good! I don't care much for little Stihls as I find they cost too much and are wimps when compared to others. But that is a personal thing. I really like my 7900 79cc Dolmar but it also has it's faults wish it had a strait handle not a angled one. So take all advise with a grain of salt and use what fits you best!!!Most of all it has to do the job you want it to do.Now the Stihl heads will jump all over me but I had a 041 super and thought it was a GREAT SAW! But sold it to a friend that needed it more than me, same friend I sold my 044 to. Sad story on that 044 got stolen. Just wanted to say All saws are good if you can maintain them and keep them happy saw's are people too:)

If the chain is sharp you will cut many cords of wood before it wears out!!! Keep it out of the dirt, keep it sharp, buy a high quality chain and don't fall for the small p€nnis syndrom demonstrated all to often on this site.

I wonder if I fall into this area since I use a Poulan Model 25 XXV and a Stihl MS170 lot. :monkey: If you got plenty of time and good patience, continue man. But as it was stated. The longer you hang around here, you will want a bigger saw. :cheers:

I am sorry but many people here will try to tell you that it is worthless poulan cr@p wild thingy.

THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!

It is a fact that it is assembled at the poulan plant but no one here sofar has showed any proof that parts are interchangble! Maybe the bar&chain but I don't know.

It has a forged steel crankshaft like all the prof. models. Of course it isn't a professional model it is a consumer grade model not intended for 6 days a week 8hrs/day. It only is a 36ccm engine with 2.2hp so cutting will be slower than with a 50-60-or 70ccm engine but if you are patient the work will be done.

that is a lot of wood.

On this site everyone believes that if you don't have a min. 700$ prof. grade saw you only own a rose pruner. If it is in good shape use it as long as it lasts. I know quite a few people who have had them for years without any faults. It has an ajustable carb so you can react to changing altitudes or fuel situations.

I will appologize in advance to all whom I may have insulted this was just a personal statement.

7sleeper

It has nothing to do with needing large saw. Its wanting. Your wrong in you way of thinking.

I Have the same 136 in my collection, I also use it the most (I gave $80 for it) It's light, it starts easy, Idles for a long time, and WILL Cut through a 16" Oak Log without much hassle. I know my others will cut through it faster, But I save wear and tear on my others (My 455 has been used 5/6 times in 2 years) and for the hell I have put the 136 through I Has stood up to it, NO Complaints here, I'd buy another.

THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!

that is a lot of wood.

7sleeper

Now that is the kind of enthusiasm I miss around here.

Well if it is made at the Poulan plant, using Poulan parts, I would tend to call it a Poulan. Just an Orange one.

THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!

that is a lot of wood.

7sleeper

wow :monkey:

Well, it isn't much of a saw quality-wise, it is pretty much a Poulan Wild-thing
dipped in Orange, but I know a lot of people that are happy with the
service they get, but I wouldn't throw a lot of money into it. Hopefully you
got it at a good price.

That isn't exactly a glowing recommendation there, Fish.:dizzy:

The homeowner saws are made for a price. It means using more plastic, less magnesium and aluminum, no decompression buttons, no adjustable oiler, but they aren't made for professional useage. Stihl has their line, Husky/Jonsered has theirs, Poulan, Craftsman, Echo, Ryobi, Homelite....some are better than others, but the fact remains that they're meant for occasional use.

I have several Echos, a Craftsman(Poulan), and a Stihl MS290. They all work, and I use them accordingly. To be perfectly honest, my Echos and Craftsman have gotten far more useage than the Stihl MS290 because of the size of wood that I was cutting, and their much lighter weight. The weight of the saw makes a big difference to those of us who don't have physically challenging jobs to keep us in top shape. 6 pack abs? Yeah, I've got 'em....more like 2 six packs!LOL:givebeer:

Ya wanna bash homeowner saws?...start with the Stihls 170, 180, 192, 210, 230, 250, 270, 280, 290, 310, 390....none are Pro saws, and the 250 and smaller don't even have adjustable carbs!

Husqvarna and Jonsered equivalents 136, 142, 340, 345, 350, 455....

Echos....smaller than CS440 had plastic cases in clamshell design like the Stihls, but at least they have adjustable carbs and oilers.

I have Pro saws as well, Stihl 066 Magnum, Stihl 026, Husqvarna 372xp, Husqvarna 346xp, Makita(Dolmar) DCS401 and 540, and my latest is a Husqvarna 272xp project...

I used the 066M for the heavy stuff over the weekend, but cut all of the 16" and smaller wood with the Craftsman and Makita DCS401.

Use what you like, but don't bust a guys balls because his saw doesn't meet your expectations.:censored:

That isn't exactly a glowing recommendation there, Fish.:dizzy:

The homeowner saws are made for a price. It means using more plastic, less magnesium and aluminum, no decompression buttons, no adjustable oiler, but they aren't made for professional useage. Stihl has their line, Husky/Jonsered has theirs, Poulan, Craftsman, Echo, Ryobi, Homelite....some are better than others, but the fact remains that they're meant for occasional use.

I have several Echos, a Craftsman(Poulan), and a Stihl MS290. They all work, and I use them accordingly. To be perfectly honest, my Echos and Craftsman have gotten far more useage than the Stihl MS290 because of the size of wood that I was cutting, and their much lighter weight. The weight of the saw makes a big difference to those of us who don't have physically challenging jobs to keep us in top shape. 6 pack abs? Yeah, I've got 'em....more like 2 six packs!LOL:givebeer:

Ya wanna bash homeowner saws?...start with the Stihls 170, 180, 192, 210, 230, 250, 270, 280, 290, 310, 390....none are Pro saws, and the 250 and smaller don't even have adjustable carbs!

Husqvarna and Jonsered equivalents 136, 142, 340, 345, 350, 455....

Echos....smaller than CS440 had plastic cases in clamshell design like the Stihls, but at least they have adjustable carbs and oilers.

I have Pro saws as well, Stihl 066 Magnum, Stihl 026, Husqvarna 372xp, Husqvarna 346xp, Makita(Dolmar) DCS401 and 540, and my latest is a Husqvarna 272xp project...

I used the 066M for the heavy stuff over the weekend, but cut all of the 16" and smaller wood with the Craftsman and Makita DCS401.

Use what you like, but don't bust a guys balls because his saw doesn't meet your expectations.:censored:

What "bashing" went on? Just curious.

What busting???? Just curious.

I work on all saw models, homeowners are my main customer base. The thin skinned Husky crowd is getting their panties in a wad.

It is well known here that I consider the newer class of Stihls as junk as well.

it is the way things are.

As far as the 136 goes, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, poops like
one, it just might be one.............................

All of the major parts of the 136 have Poulan part numbers, which are used on Poulan saws, crank, piston, etc............

So they borrowed the Poulan plant, and used a lot of the Poulan parts,
no biggie, if you can handle it............

What "bashing" went on? Just curious.

What busting???? Just curious.

I work on all saw models, homeowners are my main customer base. The thin skinned Husky crowd is getting their panties in a wad.

It is well known here that I consider the newer class of Stihls as junk as well.

it is the way things are.

As far as the 136 goes, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, poops like
one, it just might be one.............................

Fair enough!

Stihl did the same bull in the nineties with their crappy Ryan trimmers.

The salesmen used the same "spin" words................

All of the major parts of the 136 have Poulan part numbers, which are used on Poulan saws, crank, piston, etc............

So they borrowed the Poulan plant, and used a lot of the Poulan parts,
no biggie, if you can handle it............

Dear Fish since you own a poulan it would be very interesting to see if you order a part for a 136 like crank or similar could you fit it into a poulan? That they have poulan part numbers is for me obvious since they are assembled there and I persume that Poulan is the main distributer of replacement parts in the US.
I could be wrong and I definately donot have your experience but the funny thing is I know quite a few people who have them and read from quite a few people who use them as a homeowner and they very often describe as being very satisfied and doing an large amount of sawing with them.
Maybe I am wrong but since you have such a large experience with these cheapo models what is the unisono fault with them? Is it wrong fuel mixes(can end the life of any saw very quick)? Or do parts break very often(fuel lines, carbs or such)? Or do customers play with those funny screws on the side of the saw and then wonder why it isn't running like it used to (and "no they never did anything to it!")? Or strange it "just ain't cutting like it used to!" with a dull chain.

Please share your experience so homeowners/casual users like me know what to look out for on our insuffient little saws!

Thank you for your input and help

7sleeper

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back