Husqvarna 154 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redgap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve read many times that the 154 muffler is really restrictive. It looks like one off a 55 will fit...if so does it flow any better?

I’ve read many times that the 154 muffler is really restrictive. It looks like one off a 55 will fit...if so does it flow any better?
Post a pic of your 154 muffler. Chances are you just need to open up the outlet more, or create additional outlet(s)

The 154 muffler is a 2-piece design that splits apart easily. That is, the original 154 muffler, not the Chinese reproductions on eBay. All you have to do is take out the two bolts that attach it to the cylinder and you can pull it apart as easily as taking a bun off a hamburger. It’s the easiest muffler in the world to get to the inside of.

Inside you’ll see that there is a metal box of sorts that covers the exit hole. There are three smallish holes in the cover, and they face forward on the saw, away from the muffler inlet. You can either drill more holes in the cover, or enlarge the holes that are there. You can add holes to the side of the cover, closer to the entrance into the muffler for a more direct path through the cover, or you can grind off two spot welds and remove the whole cover obstructing the exit hole.

The muffler has a removable deflector too, just take out the two screws and you can access the screen under it. You can clean the screen of carbon deposits, use a larger mesh screen, or toss the whole screen out. At this point it’s very easy to also enlarge the exit hole of the muffler from the 1/2” round to something larger.

The 154 deflector directs exhaust gasses forward, and has some “teeth” that obstruct part of the exit path. You can cut/grind/bend those tabs out of the way so they don’t impede the flow past them.

All told, the 154 muffler does a good job quieting down the saw, but I’d say it’s the easiest muffler I’ve come across to mod for more flow.

Type of original muffler fitted varied according to the market, e.g. original muffer for Europe (5018650-01) is welded together, has a circular pipe outlet, no spark arrestor and is highly restrictive.

50 muffler should fit. If a 55 muffler is taller or wider it may not fit.

Type of original muffler fitted varied according to the market, e.g. original muffer for Europe (5018650-01) is welded together, has a circular pipe outlet, no spark arrestor and is highly restrictive.

50 muffler should fit. If a 55 muffler is taller or wider it may not fit.

True, but OP is in USA, not Europe.

So I just took a quick look at the 154 muffler, and it looks like the muffler off one of my 55 carcasses will fit and has a less restrictive outlet. But when I pull the 154 muffler off, I'll see if I can pull it apart easily and look at the guts. FWIW as long as I was looking at mufflers, I noticed that the muffler on my 61 carcass might fit on my 66, and looks like it has a less restrictive outlet. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back