Husqvarna 154se First Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artemis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a free 154se from a friend of mine. Obviously it doesn't run because it's free. I did a compression test and it showed 150 psi, which seemed like it was lying to me, because the saw drops like a rock from the pull cord. I pulled the muffler and found the piston scored. Then I pulled the cylinder and it was bad as well. I figured this was the prime opportunity to try a rebuild, so I was wondering where can I look for quality parts? My only rule is that I don't want to get the Chinese crap from eBay. So does anyone have a brand new piston and cylinder kit for sale? Maybe some links to good websites?

Also, how can I be sure that the bottom end bearings are still good? I checked and there is no lateral movement, only side to side.

I got a free 154se from a friend of mine. Obviously it doesn't run because it's free. I did a compression test and it showed 150 psi, which seemed like it was lying to me, because the saw drops like a rock from the pull cord. I pulled the muffler and found the piston scored. Then I pulled the cylinder and it was bad as well. I figured this was the prime opportunity to try a rebuild, so I was wondering where can I look for quality parts? My only rule is that I don't want to get the Chinese crap from eBay. So does anyone have a brand new piston and cylinder kit for sale? Maybe some links to good websites?

Also, how can I be sure that the bottom end bearings are still good? I checked and there is no lateral movement, only side to side.

Not sure about the cylinder and piston as I am from the UK. Surely just ask a question to the eBay shop with a kit for sale local to you in Canada and ask if they are Chinese or not? I had a 372XP that needed a new kit. I got a non genuine non Chinese kit from Germany that has done me fine for a while with no issues using this 'said' method.

Regards the crank bearings I read a thread a while back about spraying and cleaning all the inners of the crankcase and bearings with WD40 or similar and leaving it to soak and clean the bearings over night, clean it out, let it dry and rotate the crank. Without the oil left from the fuel in the bearings you should be able to feel any anomalies though your fingers with them being dry as a bone.

Strangely enough I did this to my current 154se that I am also rebuilding when i took the cylinder off. Nothing wrong with mine though, just did a full strip and clean to be sure. Just now tinkering with an exhaust mod and re-tune. Cuts damn well though and I will not be getting rid of this saw. I had an MS260 that was not being used now that I have this. lol. I am pretty sure some people will hate me for this but just my personal opinion and the MS260 was burning money not really being used.

How is your rebuild doing?

Meteor apparently makes a 254 cylinder kit. I would assume that it will work for the 154SE. Most feel that Meteor is the Best aftermarket manufacturer...as good as OEM. http://www.meteorpiston.com/Lists/C...meteorpiston.com/Lists/Cylinders/Catalog.aspx

Main Bearings - if there is noise when cranked over or if the bearings are blued or cages damaged, they need to be replaced.

Lower Rod Bearing - if there is bluing, noise, or vertical movement, the crank needs to be replaced.

Back