Husqvarna 185CD Won't Idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu in Tokyo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm no stranger to 2-smoke engines, I'm no stranger to small engines, and while I've worked on a lot of them, most were not chainsaws, I have worked on some, but not nearly as many chainsaws as say motorcycles, or scooters etc.
chainsaws_July_2014.jpg

The 185CD in the front with it's big brother 3120XP in the background, I got the 3120XP running just recently and it runs really well.

I have a 1976 Husqvarna 185CD saw, I use this mostly in my chainsaw mill, as it is a heavy old beast that has no chain brake. Mounted in the chainsaw mill, I'm not overly concerned about the lack of chain brake, and the old long stroke engine has lots of torque. Besides the weight and lack of chain brake, this saw can be a real workout to start when cold, no decomp valve, but after the first few pulls it always started right up and ran great. I run it at 25:1 with dino 2-smoke oil as per the circa 1976 owners manual, and I've put hours and hours of time on the saw in my chainsaw mill, it has run like a champ in the past. A few years ago I lent it to a friend of a friend, as a chainsaw mill, he milled up a bunch of stuff and when he gave me the saw back it was clean the chain was sharp and he bought me a case of beer. He said that he had ran it dry and emptied the gas out of it. I was very busy, and from the good condition that the saw was in, I just put it on the shelf and let it sit. Fast forward about 5 years, and it turns out he dumped the gas out of the saw, but he did not run it dry, there must have been gas in the fuel line and carb because the fuel line was in pieces, and the carb was all varnished up. I got the parts to rebuild the saw a while back and I finally got around to rebuilding the carb, replacing the fuel lines too, I also replaced the drive sprocket and a few other things, you can see that >> HERE <<

Well I cannot get this saw to run right, let me tell you what I do have for info and see if someone can point me in the right direction.

I've got fuel to the carb and spark to the spark plug.

When I rebuilt the carb I set the end of the little lever that attaches to the carb inlet needle flush with the body of the carb, as per owners manual. Also the owners manual says for the initial settings for the car adjustment screws H=1 turn out from closed and L= 1.2 turns out from closed. The T screw I have about 1-1/2 turns from touching the metal plate that it moves on the carb.

The darn thing will not run.

If I put a little starting fluid in it, it will run but on at full chat, it will not idle.

The gas is less than a week old, and it's high octane the premium stuff.

I'm going to take the carb apart again to make sure I did not miss anything.

The engine has good compression.

Like I said I don't use this saw much, I have it set aside as a big saw to use on the large chainsaw mill and in the case of a major earthquake here in Tokyo a gas chainsaw could be useful.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Cheers!

No leak between the carb and the intake, good new gaskets on there, the carb is put together correctly too, I double checked.

What am I missing?

Cheers!

If you have fuel to the carb but not through the carb and the saw runs on gas squirted in the carb...the carb is still varnished up or rebuilt incorrectly.

hearing that you are not new to 2 smokers i'm gonna assume you know how to tune one. i should also assume that you got the metering lever hooked on the diaphragm properly. i might also assume that you know crank seals don't last forever :) now, does it sound like it's running rich or lean? my money's on the metering lever not being properly adjusted or hooked to the diaphragm causing it to flood out at idle or an inproperly tuned low speed. it really helps to hear the saw run when diagnosing these problems but i gave you an idea anyways.

I am not familiar with the HUSKIES. Are the carbs set up like Tillotsons where you have to slide the "tit" of the diaphragm into the yoke on the metering lever? I made that mistake the other day on a big Echo and that carb is a bear to get in/out of the air box. I kicked myself around the shop a couple times...then asked the wife to have a go at it.

Good catch Shane.

If you have fuel to the carb but not through the carb and the saw runs on gas squirted in the carb...the carb is still varnished up or rebuilt incorrectly.
Yeah, that is my fear, I knocked the welch plugs out and cleaned the carb well, I thought, but maybe I'll have to do it again. I wonder if I can buy just the welch plugs?

Thanks

hearing that you are not new to 2 smokers i'm gonna assume you know how to tune one. i should also assume that you got the metering lever hooked on the diaphragm properly. i might also assume that you know crank seals don't last forever :) now, does it sound like it's running rich or lean? my money's on the metering lever not being properly adjusted or hooked to the diaphragm causing it to flood out at idle or an inproperly tuned low speed. it really helps to hear the saw run when diagnosing these problems but i gave you an idea anyways.

You sir are correct in your assumptions, the metering lever is set correctly and it is connected to the diaphragm.

It sounds lean, like it is not getting any gas, the plug is dry when I pull it after an attempt to get it to run.

The low speed L screw is set to the manual recommended 1.1 turns,

I'd take a video, but it is all I can do to get the darn thing to run for a few seconds right now.

Crankcase seals, I did not think of that, how do I check?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the HUSKIES. Are the carbs set up like Tillotsons where you have to slide the "tit" of the diaphragm into the yoke on the metering lever? I made that mistake the other day on a big Echo and that carb is a bear to get in/out of the air box. I kicked myself around the shop a couple times...then asked the wife to have a go at it.

Good catch Shane.

The carb on this saw is a Tillotson, an HS122A IIRC. The tit is correctly connected to the yoke on the metering lever.

On my Husky 3120XP there is no tit to be connected, just a button that rests on the yoke.

Thanks!!

I tore the carb down again and now I've got it in my ultrasonic cleaner.

IMG_8383.JPG

I did not take the welch plugs out as I don't have any replacements for them, I'll order some more and if this does not work tear it apart again and remove the welch plugs and clean it once again.

Soon I'll be able to remove this carb and take it apart and then reassemble it with a blindfold on :D

Wish me luck!

Put it all back together following the Tillotson service manual, and I could get it to run for about 4 min, I get got it to idle fairly well, then it just died, and now it won't start. Lots of fresh fuel, when I pull the plug it is not soaking wet but in fact a nice light brown color. Fuel comes out of the fuel line with the saw on it's side like it is supposed to, the filter is NOT new but it does not look bad, I replaced it a few years ago, and has not run many tanks of gas through it. I do not have a proper spark tester, but using the shade tree method I lay the plug on top of the cylinder head and pull it over and I see lots of nice bright spark.

I did notice a fair bit of wear on the choke valve rod.....

IMG_8384.JPG

.... or is that how it should be? Even so, it is on the choke side, so I don't see how it would matter much, except the speed governor is on that side too...?

Maybe it is just time for a new carb?

Scratching my head here, could really use some help. :confused:

I'm beginning to really hate this saw :mad:

The metering lever in the carb should be level with the dish in the carb NOT level with the gasket sealing surface like a lot of carbs. If you have that set right I would look at you tank vent. Not sure how the 185 vent was but it will either have a vent above the fuel filler hole on top of tank or have a vented cap. If you have no tank vent and are running a non vented cap that very well could be your issue. I believe you said you installed a new fuel line. I have seen many hacks tear these lines trying to install them but let's just say you didn't. Tank venting is the last thing. Fuel filter being New Years ago with not many hours also means nothing. I have seen fuel dry up in them many times and restrict flow after sitting for extended periods. If the saw runs fine at WOT it should pull fuel at idle though.

The metering lever in the carb should be level with the dish in the carb NOT level with the gasket sealing surface like a lot of carbs. If you have that set right I would look at you tank vent. Not sure how the 185 vent was but it will either have a vent above the fuel filler hole on top of tank or have a vented cap. If you have no tank vent and are running a non vented cap that very well could be your issue. I believe you said you installed a new fuel line. I have seen many hacks tear these lines trying to install them but let's just say you didn't. Tank venting is the last thing. Fuel filter being New Years ago with not many hours also means nothing. I have seen fuel dry up in them many times and restrict flow after sitting for extended periods. If the saw runs fine at WOT it should pull fuel at idle though.

Yes the metering lever is set level with the dish.

The tank vent is clear, I checked it.
I don't think I tore the fuel line, but I'll double check that and I'll put a new fuel filter on my list to buy.

I really appreciate the input.

Thanks

If she still don't run I'd look into doing a pres/vac test. Seals might just be leaking enough to not have strong enough impulse to pull fuel through carb at idle. If she passes fatten up the low speed so she runs and call it a day. :laugh:

Good catch Shane.
she gets you behavin,mehbey the carb will also is that the theory?

That saw may have an air leak somewhere. I believe a pressure /vac test is in order. OP has a sonic cleaner. Looks like he is geared up and savvy. I bet he has a mityvac or something he can pressure that saw up to 7-10 psi and see if he has a leak.

That saw may have an air leak somewhere. I believe a pressure /vac test is in order. OP has a sonic cleaner. Looks like he is geared up and savvy. I bet he has a mityvac or something he can pressure that saw up to 7-10 psi and see if he has a leak.

I'm kinda hoping it's been fixed since this thread was started lol. if the gaskets on intake are right not blocking impulse, carb cleaned well and assembled correctly with Welch plugs sealed up and a new kit then the only things are fuel pickup or a cracked intake block.

Latest posts

Back