Husqvarna 2100 experts, come talk to me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got this really nice 2100 last week, it needed a few things like the front to antivibe isolators to begin with so I tore it all down to put those in, give it a good cleaning and a overall check over.

Thought the isolatators would be here today and they were, all one of them :taped: I suppose the others will be along shortly.

Anyway, before I tore it down I fired it up and it runs good but it was leaking gas from the cap and found it had a vented cap and no tank vent in the tank. I never seen one setup like this, I thought they all had that funky vent in the tank, the one thats always missing the cover for it.

I also was surprised to see it had a rubber bushing for a standard fuel line. I already ordered a fuel line with the bushing made into it and it will work fine.

I tore through all the IPLs that I have for a 2100 and the latest I have is dated 1985 and non of them show the plug in the top of the tank where the vent would be or a fuel line to use with a bushing/grommet. Since I dont have the IPL showing this vented cap, anyone know a part # for the one I need?

What do I have here? The serial # is 1010889 and is clearly marked 2100CD.

Also do I need to find the front bracket with either a bushing or a spring that hooks the front of the tank to the case/front spike? Was that a option on these?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I went through one of these awhile back, but my memory is a bit lacking now.

I know the fuel line is the same as a 288, and I'm wanting to say the tank vent setup is too. EDIT, No the vent isn't the same.

I believe that saw would be a 1981 model. Mine was a 1985.

I did find an old picture that shows the tank vent deal if it helps...
photobucket-4109-1332017431660.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen a couple set up that way with the vented cap. If it were me, I'd ditch the vented cap and get parts to put the vent in the tank. The vented cap always becomes a leaker.

According to my 1984 Husqvarna 2100 technicial bulletins, the vent system has the following part numbers:

501 54 12-01 - vent outer cover (this is a felt outer cover)
501 69 50-01 - vent tube
501 55 11-01 vent end cap

I've seen a couple set up that way with the vented cap. If it were me, I'd ditch the vented cap and get parts to put the vent in the tank. The vented cap always becomes a leaker.

According to my 1984 Husqvarna 2100 technicial bulletins, the vent system has the following part numbers:

501 54 12-01 - vent outer cover (this is a felt outer cover)
501 69 50-01 - vent tube
501 55 11-01 vent end cap

Thanks JJ, but I'm still wondering when this setup was used as I have no IPLs showing it.

I have no problem using that other vent setup and I am familer with it but not sure where I could get those parts. I do have a non vented cap here that I could use but its a gray cap instead of black not that it matters much.

I also thought of using a grommet, with a line through it and a Homelite or Poulan duckbill valve in it for the vent.

The tank vents are hard to come by so you might have someones hillbilly fix. As far as the grommet in the fuel line, I got a husqvarna universal line kit for my L65 and that's the way it was. It's also completely useless. The grommet doesn't seal top and bottom so it pops out. I ended up putting a 2100 fuel line in it and it works great. For the 2100 tank vent I got a brass vent from a different model, no need for the foam cover. I'll see if I can find a part number for you.

My 285 same setup as 2100 in the day, had a gromet were the fuel line went though the case. When the fuel was replaced you had to be careful to install it properly. There is a long end and a short end hard to tell which way it goes. After the third or fourth line the gromet was history. I never had a problem without the gromet

You don't necessarily need the OEM parts to put a decent tank vent on the 2100. There's plenty of generic parts that will work just fine. However, if a person had their heart set on OEM parts, then Spike60 or William Greene would be two good guys to talk to. William seems to have a lot of obsolete Husky stuff.

I can't find my envelope with the part numbers, but I do have some pictures.
Here is the old style vent:
attachment.php

attachment.php

And the new style vent. This picture is on a different saw, but I used the same one on a 2100 I sold after I tapped the hole.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Epicklein22 started a thread about a Husky dealer he bought out. He might have something, judging by the amount of boxes pictured.

I have a rubber front mount. PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail for you.

That is possible, but not because of that serial number - as it is not one of those that are easily dated....

Thats what I thought, these ones are different in decoding them.

This is mainly my whole point in posting this thread up, I thank all who try to help, but I am well aware of what vent setup it useally found on these, my whole point was if the vented cap and plugged vent hole in the tank was common or not as this is the first that I have seen this way and I find this setup in no IPL's

When was the last 2100 built? Maybe 87? Was the 2101 out at the same time as the 2100 as well?

I was thinking that maybe this was a real late 2100 because of its low use and this different vent setup but looking at the 2101 IPLs they show the same old type tank vent on those as well.

Does anyone have a 2100 IPL later then 85?

I'm not worring too much about makeing this work, like I said I have a unvented cap and I will just setup a duckbill type tank vent in the normal location on it. Not looking high and low for NOS parts that wont work any better.

I havent seen that type before listed in any of the IPLS, Id say its a fix for a dud lost or broken original vent. The foam that goes over the vent is always missing and NOS stuff is usually buggered when you pull it out of its original parts bag....they also had a plastic cap/fitting over the foam...

There is some other info here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/195847.htm

Thats what I thought, these ones are different in decoding them.

This is mainly my whole point in posting this thread up, I thank all who try to help, but I am well aware of what vent setup it useally found on these, my whole point was if the vented cap and plugged vent hole in the tank was common or not as this is the first that I have seen this way and I find this setup in no IPL's

When was the last 2100 built? Maybe 87? Was the 2101 out at the same time as the 2100 as well?

I was thinking that maybe this was a real late 2100 because of its low use and this different vent setup but looking at the 2101 IPLs they show the same old type tank vent on those as well.

Does anyone have a 2100 IPL later then 85?

I'm not worring too much about makeing this work, like I said I have a unvented cap and I will just setup a duckbill type tank vent in the normal location on it. Not looking high and low for NOS parts that wont work any better.

I have never seen an IPL for 2100CD that is later that august 1985, and the first IPL for the 2101XP is dated april 1987. It is hard to say exactly when the 2100CD productions stopped, but remember there briefly was the 2100XP as well around that time.....

Anyway, the number tag is of the oldest style with just a consecutive serial number, that contains no "codes" as to when it is from. I'm pretty sure it is not newer than 1982, and most likely is from the late 1970s.

Last edited:
I havent seen that type before listed in any of the IPLS, Id say its a fix for a dud lost or broken original vent. The foam that goes over the vent is always missing and NOS stuff is usually buggered when you pull it out of its original parts bag....they also had a plastic cap/fitting over the foam...

There is some other info here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/195847.htm

Thanks, that plug in the tank sure looks like a factory piece to me.

I have never seen an IPL for 2100CD that is later that august 1985, and the first IPL for the 2101XP is dated april 1987. It is hard to say exactly when the 2100CD productions stopped, but remember there briefly was the 2100XP as well around that time.....

Anyway, the number tag is of the oldest style with just a consecutive serial number, that contains no "codes" as to when it is from. I'm pretty sure it is not newer than 1982, and most likely is from the late 1970s.

Yes I got to thinking about that tag and realised it probably is a very early one instead of a very late one. I'm thinking your right on the late 70's.

I already got a tank vent fixed up on it, used a proper sized grommet a piece of fuel line, a plastic Poulan connector and a Homelite duckbill valve on it. I'm going to just let the fuel line stick up just a little from the tank, then cut out a piece of air filter foam to sit over and around it to be sandwiched between the tank and case.

It will work fine that way.

Thanks, that plug in the tank sure looks like a factory piece to me.

Yes I got to thinking about that tag and realised it probably is a very early one instead of a very late one. I'm thinking your right on the late 70's.

I already got a tank vent fixed up on it, used a proper sized grommet a piece of fuel line, a plastic Poulan connector and a Homelite duckbill valve on it. I'm going to just let the fuel line stick up just a little from the tank, then cut out a piece of air filter foam to sit over and around it to be sandwiched between the tank and case.

It will work fine that way.
Please photograph this. It will be very helpful. TIA

You don't necessarily need the OEM parts to put a decent tank vent on the 2100. There's plenty of generic parts that will work just fine. However, if a person had their heart set on OEM parts, then Spike60 or William Greene would be two good guys to talk to. William seems to have a lot of obsolete Husky stuff.

damn....jj......hope they don't BAN ME AGAIN. i get booted EVERY time i help or thank someone

Guess I missed it after all sorry Mark my friend. Congratulations on the new saw man:clap: I am no expert, but have learned a lot about them. I wont part with mine, my favorite and go to saws.:clap: Yours looks real clean. Common problems I have seen, thanks to help here from Canada friends, crank seal pto side, and orings on the manual oiler override thanks to Homelite Jim. Also Jim shows the echo tank vent fits and works perfect, looks like you got all covered my friend:msp_wink:

Back