Husqvarna 235 carb problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burroak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a 2011 husqvarna 235 xtorq recently with carb issues. Its very difficult to start, and will not stay running, nor will it rev up. The first problem is the darn choke won't stay out! This makes the saw extremely difficult to start when your holding the choke out with one hand and pulling the starter cord with the other.
I did a search online, and this seems to be a common issue with the saw, but I haven't found a fix for it. So I want to ask, does anyone know how to keep the choke out on this saw?

Next step will be attempting to tune the carb since it's the dreaded design that requires the special tool.

Does anyone else own one of these saws, and have you had similar issues with it?

I have mostly plastic Poulan based homeowner saws but have never played with one of those. I'd welcome one but many others here would be hard pressed to admit it if they had one!

Usually choke linkages are pretty straightforward and it's pretty easy to see how they're supposed to work. Typically the choke lever will pull on an arm for the choke plate (which is separate from the throttle plate in back), and somewhere connected to that arm will be something that props the throttle plate open for high idle.

The choke will not stay out when the throttle is pulled, so perhaps the throttle linkage is stuck partly open?

Hm, thanks for the idea. I'll have to check things over

I have a 240 that I rebuilt, basically the same saw I believe. The choke lock should occur when a small plate attached the the choke rod connects with part of the throttle rod. It's like a hammer on a fire arm being locked back by the sear. It's released when the trigger is pulled, so the throttle turns to open and releases the catch on the choke. If you take off the cover look on the right side of the carb and play with the choke and throttle. Look how the parts move and you should see a little plate attached to the choke rod that goes through the carb. There is a little screw that holds it on and allows it to be adjusted and I'm guessing that is what is missing. I don't have my 240 with me right now, or I would just post a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as for adjusting the carb , you can get the special tool online. or you can do what i did. i took the carb out and used a dremel tool to cut slots in the top of the screws so that i could adjust it with a screwdriver. ( i had it apart anyway and saved myself between 15 and 20 dollars for the tool). you can find videos on the net on how to readjust the jets once you have cut the slots. it is real easy.

Latest posts

Back