Husqvarna 246 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm not mistaken its a closed port. But there's a good chance im wrong but I think they made both closed and open port in two different variants.

If I'm not mistaken its a closed port. But there's a good chance im wrong but I think they made both closed and open port in two different variants.

Open port, but they are very good runners,

Since it was intended as a lower priced and lower performance alternative to the 242xp, I suspect it is open port?

44mm piston in the 246 and 30mm stroke from what I have gathered. Same size piston as the newer 346NE that has a 32mm stroke. NE should have the advantage with air injection. Don't know about the differences in stroke for power.

44mm piston in the 246 and 30mm stroke from what I have gathered. Same size piston as the newer 346NE that has a 32mm stroke. NE should have the advantage with air injection. Don't know about the differences in stroke for power.

The stroke of the 346xp is 32.5mm, and the bore of the NE is 44.3mm.

You are right about the 246 having a 30mm stroke and 44mm bore.

I have owned and used 10 of the 246 models as a small pulp saw. Stock, muffler mod and ported. I ported 2 that were even with a stock 346 and had great durability. A 262 carb worked well on the ported ones.

Still my favorite small saw.

I know this is an old thread but I came across this piston/cylinder that might be of interest/reference. The part number on the original box is 503 57 66 72. Not sure this top end was meant to be in this box. Happy New Year to all...........
246xpclosedporthusqvarna 013.JPG 246xpclosedporthusqvarna 009.JPG 246xpclosedporthusqvarna 016.JPG246xpclosedporthusqvarna 010.JPG

The 241C casting #, 44mm stamp and two long cylinder bolts coincides with 246.
Part # is only one digit off from the ipl I have, 73 instead of 72 but that may be because that's w/o piston on the ipl.

Can't see from the pics but should be open port and look similar to the Gilardoni open port 42 and 268.
More or less the same shape/proportions as the closed port versions but with a vertical divider instead of the horizontal bridge.
IIRC pretty much the same timing numbers as the closed port also.

The kit is New Old Stock. This piston is windowed. The part number I provided above is for a Husqvarna 42 saw with a 42mm piston. The 73 on the end of the part number is the most recent updated number. 503 73 00-72 is the Husqvarna 246 kit as per the ipl with a 44mm piston.

I would conclude the pictured kit is closed port for a Husqvarna 246.

I've heard rumors of such a thing but have never seen any actual evidence of one.
The casting # 241C is the same as what is on the 246 open port cylinders and it would use a windowed piston with this style of side fed transfer.

Externally the 42/246 op cylinder transfer bulges look almost identical to the 242 cp cylinders,
easiest tell is the difference in the casting for the longer cylinder bolts on the intake side.

Are there pics of the bore/transfers?

Pics This 246 cylinder utilizes the two longer bolts for mounting just like the Gilardoni 42 non windowed piston/cylinder kit. Learning something new every day.

Attachments

• 246xpclosedporthusqvarna 014.JPG
    246xpclosedporthusqvarna 014.JPG
    802.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 246xpclosedporthusqvarna 015.JPG
    246xpclosedporthusqvarna 015.JPG
    779.9 KB · Views: 27
Thanks, that appears to be a standard open port 246 cyl.
I does look a lot different than what people are used to seeing with the typical bottom fed open port stuff
and it's fairly unique configuration may be one reason why they're such good performers for op.

I'd love to see someone make a hybrid version with a combination of the vertical divider and a horizontal bridge (and in 44mm or even 45mm bore too).
Quad closed port 242 bb kit!

Latest posts

Back