Husqvarna 261 chain brake help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedRoadSaws

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I purchased a 261 off ebay and am rebuilding into a 262, but in the process off replacing the broken brake band, I am unable to tell from looking at the IPL how this thing goes back together. The spring that sits inside the handle is the main problem. The IPL does not show its exact location and I cant figure it out. I have attached the IPL. The 1st page shows the chain brake and part # 506 16 48-01, the spring.

Thanks, Mark

Update, I think i have the spring in the handle in the right place, but still cant get it back together. I can get the handle to release the brake, but it won't lock. :confused:

What BOTI said; they're fun. You need to check the area inside of the handle pivot. It is very common to have the tang end of the spring in the handle lying in the wrong space. Usually if this is the case, the handle will be unusually far to the rear.

Yep I go with the others those SOBs are fun.......NOT!!!! Basiclly the same on the 268, 272 etc. I've had them apart and put them back together but darned if I could tell you how to do it!!! I just fuss, fuss and fuss, swear, swear, and swear some more and suddenly........it works!!! YEAHHHH!!! Good luck is all the help I can give!!:cheers:

Thanks for the responses, I finally got it working, found out I need the forked spring/tab now too, but it works ok even with the ends broken off. I wish there was a better diagram of this style chain brake.

Mark

Back