Husqvarna 261 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELECT6845

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Bought a very nice Husqvarna 261 today but it has a bad piston and cylinder. Paid 75.00 for it so is it worth installing a new 262xp top end and if so how is the nwp kits from baileys? If i go with that it will put me into it for around 200.00. Are the 261's worth it?

Definitely. Muffler mod, remove the carb stops, and you essentially have a 262. The only other real difference between the 261 and 262 is a three shoe clutch, but that's not a dealbreaker in my opinion. If it's in any shape, go for it, you will have a great saw in the end.

A 262 is worth $275.

Have you determined whether or not the cylinder is salvageable? I would try to clean up the cylinder bf I did anything. If it will clean up ok, then you only need to get a Meteor piston.
It looks like the 262 P/C kits from Baileys get good reviews. I have been satisfied with all of the NWP kits I have used.
If you do the swap, you definitely need to open the muffler. The clutch is a 2 shoe on the 261 vs. a 3 shoe on the 262. I have a converted 261 that has run a 2 shoe all this fall without a problem. I plan to keep running it until it fails, then swap it to the correct one.

If you don't want it, let me know!!!

Thanks guys for the info. I will try and clean up the cylinder tonight. Cylinder looks like some metal has transfered. You can feel some scratches below the exhaust port.

Couldnt save the cylinder i tried acid and alot of wet sanding but the scratches are above the exhaust port and pretty deep. Just ordered a new cylinder and piston from baileys.

Back