Husqvarna 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpl127

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This saw f***s, great muffler. Only complaints are the really short throw on the starter, and oiling orifices seems to need cleaned more often (anyone notice this?) Really enjoy the 261 in the wood, can’t seem to keep that chain wet though, oiler turnt all the way up, vent replaced etc.

Attachments

• 4B2F6E8B-DC17-424A-B158-084BC7E75D6E.jpeg
    4B2F6E8B-DC17-424A-B158-084BC7E75D6E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
I have a plastic worm drive 261 that has been hit or miss with oiling.Runs like an unchained gorilla.Maybe the aftermarket worm gear is too small? Will have to drag it out and try again.

Make sure it’s not missing the grommet behind the pump. If saw was ever rebuilt, someone may have forgotten the part. Happened to me. Its a grommet that looks like a short piece of cut hose that goes between the pump and case.

Make sure bar oiling holes cleaned and lined up.

There are 2 oiler drive types on the 262 (may not apply to 261). One is a brass gear that oils at idle, and one is a plastic one driven off the clutch drum. The drums are different and if mixed and matched incorrectly you may have an issue driving the pump. The drum driven pump drum has small teeth on the backside that mate up to the plastic gear.

Thanks bros. Is this the grommett you’re referring to?

Attachments

• 55754038-BBE6-48F7-AF66-DD4F0919A4D4.png
    55754038-BBE6-48F7-AF66-DD4F0919A4D4.png
    735.6 KB · Views: 9
This saw f***s, great muffler. Only complaints are the really short throw on the starter, and oiling orifices seems to need cleaned more often (anyone notice this?) Really enjoy the 261 in the wood, can’t seem to keep that chain wet though, oiler turnt all the way up, vent replaced etc.
Put a new, longer pull rope on the saw if the starter has a short throw currently.

Put a new, longer pull rope on the saw if the starter has a short throw currently.
I did, ordered a brand new oem spring and cord. Minor complaint, just seems a lot shorter than my other saws. I also buttoned off the decomp and it’s made me look like a fool trying to to start it a few times, probably making matters worse. seemed like a short throw before I buttoned it off though, just unnatural compared to my other saws. 1st world problem.

I was really impressed with the new OEM spring, had a really nice retainer to ease the installation.

Latest posts

Back