Husqvarna 262xp Bigbore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a scorched 261 to a 262 w a nice used non decomp cylinder oem 262 piston and 3 shoe clutch....thin gasket I think slight advance on the ignition and I tell ya been awhile since I ran it but it will really bite if you don't commit to the pull cord....a nice saw to run for sure!...Bob always in to fill in useful background info!

Looks like you're the guinea pig so be sure to do a thread with your thoughts/impressions after you get the saw. When you get the saw, check the top of the cylinder to see if anyone stamped their initials or left their mark.

Yep I looked that over too......interesting.....I'd very interested in your impression once you get it in some wood.....keep us posted....that's certainly the big daddy of big blocks for a 262!!!
Will certainly do, it may be a bit after I get it though. Let the wife know what I bought last night.... oops

Got it by UPS yesterday, put bar and chain put on, mix in the tank and she popped on a couple pulls. My impression is that it's going to be a nice saw. Need to get it put into some wood and see how she does.

We need some close up pics of the intake setup, as well spark plug fit when the top cover is installed. Can't wait to get your impressions after running the saw!

Got it by UPS yesterday, put bar and chain put on, mix in the tank and she popped on a couple pulls. My impression is that it's going to be a nice saw. Need to get it put into some wood and see how she does.
Did you get this saw back to going. I have bought a very nice looking 261 and was considering the same conversion. I already had a new 038 Magnum kit on the shelf and now that I have the 261 cylinder laying beside it I am discouraged because of the completely different intake ports and the bolt pattern of the bases is different as well as the impulse port or lack of one in the case of the 038 cylinder. A wall would have to fabricated to keep trash out of the carburetor compartment. Alot of work.

Attachments

• 20181129_201326.jpg
    20181129_201326.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
I bought a scored cylinder from a Dolmar 120si just to compare it to a 262xp cylinder. The 2 cylinders are very close in size externally. The base bolt pattern is slightly larger on the Dolmar, but I think the holes could be elongated slightly and made to fit. the Dolmar cylinder is 49mm bore, so 1mm bigger than the Husky. The Dolmar cylinder has a huge exhaust port, so fitting a muffler might be a challenge, but not impossible. The intake block on the Dolmar could be made to work with the Husky base and top cover without much fabricating or modification.
IMG_20181130_211632.jpg IMG_20181130_211647.jpg IMG_20181130_211715.jpg IMG_20181130_211731.jpg IMG_20181130_211757.jpg

I bought a scored cylinder from a Dolmar 120si just to compare it to a 262xp cylinder. The 2 cylinders are very close in size externally. The base bolt pattern is slightly larger on the Dolmar, but I think the holes could be elongated slightly and made to fit. the Dolmar cylinder is 49mm bore, so 1mm bigger than the Husky. The Dolmar cylinder has a huge exhaust port, so fitting a muffler might be a challenge, but not impossible. The intake block on the Dolmar could be made to work with the Husky base and top cover without much fabricating or modification.
View attachment 687408 View attachment 687410 View attachment 687411 View attachment 687412 View attachment 687413
That would be easier than the 038 cylinder. Its not much gain for the amount of work though. I bet there is a close match in one of the other companies lineup that will increase hp.

Glad this thread is back. I was thinking about an 038 Super jug. 2mm bigger.

The issue here is case volume. Filling a jug that’s 4mm bigger is gonna be a tall order. The case volume to saw displacemt makes a huge difference.

Latest posts

Back