Husqvarna 262xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to say, there are one 61 and one 268/272 among those saws, so surely not 4 262s.

The 61 and the 268/272 belongs to a different and physically larger "saw family" (162 family, vs the 154 family that the 262xp belongs to), and not many parts will be compatible with a 262xp.

Last edited:
I started out with 4- 262xp 1- 268 and 1- 61
I traded the 61 and the 268 for 1 more 262xp power head and a starter cover and complete chian break and air shield.
I have tore down all the saws to see what was good and there is enough parts two build 2 saws.
the one i got started today was a complete rebuild from the ground up.:smile2:

Here's a few shots of saw #1
I was tinkering in the shop last night so I decided to add another dog to my saw.
This was my first complete rebuild.
Randy

That saw of yours won't be a complete rebuild until you install a chain/bar adjuster screw assembly. Then we need to see your work in action..........video with your 262xp in the cut :popcorn:
initiation to AS is then complete:)

I had a good day today, put a couple coats of high heat black on my homemade dog spike.
My brother inlaw came over today and i was showing him my saw and he said he had a new 16" oregon bar and chain that i could have from his old 262 that the ring broke and gouged the cylinder.
I went and got it , power mate plus with a chisel chain.
filled it up with oil to make sure the oil pump worked.
I warmed the saw up and have it right on the edge of idle but when i turn just a bit more it will die.
the high side 4 strokes good and and it doesn't bog in the wood.
I have read the troubleshooting part of my manual and have narrowed it down to the carb diaphragm, i think.
But i was wandering if the clutch spring could be weak? I have the three piece and 1 large spring.
My thought that it was so close to idle if the spring was weak that the idle would be to low to keep the motor running.
Any advice is appreciated thanks abunch and thanks for all the likes and responce:clap:
Randy

I figured out my idle problem.
Yesterday when i installed my bar and chain i got my first chance to tune my saw.
After it warmed up good i tuned it up to where the chain at idle would still barely move.
tweaking the low or idle screws anymore would kill the motor.
after looking at the troubleshooting section in the manual i would have guessed that the carb would have to be rebuilt.
The saw runs great full blast and at idle so i wasn't sure if it was the carb.
I took the clutch cover off and my clutch is a 3 piece with 1 spring.
I could move the shoes with minimal force. lucky i had another clutch and matching oil pump screw.
Once i installed the new clutch i got it to idle proper.
The service manual says nothing about weak clutch spring in the troubleshooting section.
Randy

A few days back i run apon a m/m thread that had many different styles.
For the life in me I can't find it now, could somebody help me to find it please?
Also i have read that with a thinner head gasket and a m/m that i should be able to pick up some more punch.
When going to a thinner head gasket say made out of a beer can or none at all what type of sealant would you use?
and would it affect the timing without porting?
I'm just a newbe to saw building but after seeing many of you out there doing it has sparked something in me to where i can't get enough
of this site.:dizzy: You guys are amazing.:rock::rock::rock:
Randy

Thanks for the post and the pics attached. I am a fellow 262 fan and always enjoy seeing these saws. This was my first real pro saw I bought back in 1995 ish. I wish I knew what a great saw it was because I would have bought another. Congrats on the build

Howdy
Scored another 262 20" bar and chain , this one had a bad piston and a little bur at the top of the exhaust.
I 'm hoping to just put a beavel on it and should disappear, tore the saw down.
I'm puzzeled, the sn# started with a 2, 1992 or 1202.
Here's why i'm asking, the carb is a HDA 87 which i thought were on the early models
Some of the screws though are slotted torks on the starter cover,top cover,air intake and handelbar.
I have 5 models that range from 93-96 and all have hex, slotted and phillips head screws.
Oh well I might be over thinking it.
Thanks for the likes and reps and responce. :clap:
Here's a few shots from today
Randy

Update
Today I accomplished building saw #2 out of all the parts I accumulated.
This one seems to have more compression because I had to use the c/r to get it started at first.
This one wasn't a crank up job I started with a good lower end but the piston and cylinder were thrashed.
The piston that i used had the ring pinched at the exhaust. I took a ignition file and opened up the spot where it was pinched.
then it had a little gouge at the top and I soften the edge around it. stuck a ring on it and hit the cylinder with a scuffy pad.
This carb is a HDA87 and the coil is a DUCOTI not the usual EM. I got it put together, hooked it up to my vise
and pulled to no end. It kept flooding , finally I took off the top cover and noticed that one of the screws on the metering cover had fell off.
I had got to talking to my brother inlaw and i forgot to tighten the screws. Once I did that all went well. this one seems to have a little more zip
than the first on I built. I have enough parts to build one more saw and it will get new seals and a new ring. It sure is fun and interesting.
I can see why CAD is so adictive:dizzy:
Randy

First you SUCK!!!!!! :laugh: You lucky dog them HDA 87 carbs are hard to come by. Larger venturi than HDA120 and HDA144. It did come on the early 262. That carb makes them really scream.
Actually CONGTATULATIONS!!!! on a great find and a VG job and i'm jealous been looking for one of those carbs for a w h i l e. :msp_thumbsup:
Shep

Howdy
Scored another 262 20" bar and chain , this one had a bad piston and a little bur at the top of the exhaust.
I 'm hoping to just put a beavel on it and should disappear, tore the saw down.
I'm puzzeled, the sn# started with a 2, 1992 or 1202.
Here's why i'm asking, the carb is a HDA 87 which i thought were on the early models
Some of the screws though are slotted torks on the starter cover,top cover,air intake and handelbar.
I have 5 models that range from 93-96 and all have hex, slotted and phillips head screws.
Oh well I might be over thinking it.
Thanks for the likes and reps and responce. :clap:
Here's a few shots from today
Randy

That case (serial number) is from 1992 week 32, which is a quite early 262xp. The HDA-87 carb adds up with that

IIRC the early ones had a smaller combustion chamber in addition to the HDA87 carb. Maybe Sawtroll can verify.
Shep

Last edited:
IIRC the early ones had a smaller combustion chamber in addition to the HDA87 carb. Maybe Sawtroll can verify.
Shep

Interesting! :biggrin: I believe this is the first time I "hear" about different combustion chambers. When did that change take place, and was it also about Mahle vs. Kolbershmidt cylinders?

Jesus, 262's must grow on trees in Minnesota!!! I'm going to have to make a trip.

I owned two 262's which I bought new in the mid 90's. They were great saws.

Congrats and keep the updates coming.

Back