Husqvarna 268 open port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenicu

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello. I am working on a open port Husqvarna 268. I have to change the piston snd i can't find the right piston. Can i use the windowed piston of a 268 XP? I was looking at the Dolmar 7900 design [ big open transfers and windowed piston] and i was thinking to put the 268 XP piston. What do you think. Thanks.

It should actually perform better with the windowed piston. The Windows allow air flow through the piston which helps cool it, plus the needle bearing will lubricate more efficiently.

I just got the right piston kit from llrdbrn off the fleebay for a 268. Lee has more.

Attachments

• llrdbrn 268 piston kit.jpg
    llrdbrn 268 piston kit.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 11
I did notice on the two 266SE both pistons have a window. The cylinders for both are constant diameter full length. On the 268 and 162SE I also have apart both pistons have the open skirt and the cylinders get larger near the transfer port area. So I assumed a windowed piston wouldn't work in the 268 cylinder. But I really don't know and based on the above comments it might work.

Brian

I did notice on the two 266SE both pistons have a window. The cylinders for both are constant diameter full length. On the 268 and 162SE I also have apart both pistons have the open skirt and the cylinders get larger near the transfer port area. So I assumed a windowed piston wouldn't work in the 268 cylinder. But I really don't know and based on the above comments it might work.

Brian

There's a lot I don't know about chainsaws, but it just doesn't sound right for a cylinder bore to be barrel or cone shaped like you mention unless it is worn out or has been improperly honed from a previous rebuild.

Thanks . I have experimented whith a open port Partner 540[Husqvarna 55 cylinder and piston]. It works better with a windowed piston[Jonsered 2055 piston 46 mm]. In this case the cylinder has double open transfers on each side, so i was thinking if an windowed piston is gonna work, then i remembered: The old piston for Dolmar 7900 was like the H 268 S/k piston, the new piston is windowed.[As seen on Arboristsite].

Latest posts

Back