Husqvarna 268

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blowdown1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
can anyone tell me some basic info on the 268? There is one for sale locally for $150, but I don't know anything about this model.

I was hoping to find a good beater saw that I can use for milling, but I'm guessing that this is too small?

Too small, I think its around 70cc, if it is in good shape get it for that price anyways.

Great saw. If it is in good running shape it is worth the $. It is however, only 67. something ccs-a bit small for heavy milling but a great firewood and general work saw.

Did the 268 have anti-vibe? How old of a model is that (range of production?). Also, would opening up the muffler give her a little more juice? This might be my experimental saw to tinker with.

thanks guys.

If it runs good and has no obvious signs of abuse, get it by all means and tinker to your hearts delight - it is a good saw for the price...

The 268 has a very good anti-vibe system. It is the direct ancestor of the 272 which quickly converted into the 372. Despite the info on Mike Acres excellent site- http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...4b191cd533de4c5788256d09001fd328?OpenDocument
My manual for my 268Xp says max rpm is 13,300. The 268 is a thoroughly modern saw. Since it preceded the worst of the EPA restrictions the muffler needs less opening thean the newer saws.

Just be aware that the 268xp wasn't the only 268. The non-xp variant had (has) a bit less power output, and probably less permitted rpm's too. Unlike the xp, it is still sold as a current model in large parts of the world.

would a 288 jug and piston fit on that? I was trying to download a pdf with the parts and specs but with dial up it was taking forever.

I assumeit is just a 268 since the ad doesn't say XP.

Blowdown1 said:
would a 288 jug and piston fit on that? I was trying to download a pdf with the parts and specs but with dial up it was taking forever.

I assumeit is just a 268 since the ad doesn't say XP.

I don't think so, there is a 4mm difference in stroke

If you want to upgrade that saw, I think the jugs from 268xp, 272xp
(not 372!) or Jred 670 Super/Champ will fit nicely.

The 670 super and 670 champ have different power ratings, the champ havinh 4.9 and the super having around 4.6 I think. go for the champ jug, you'll just love it.

Blowdown1 said:
would a 288 jug and piston fit on that? I was trying to download a pdf with the parts and specs..."

Can you share the site where you are trying to download the 288 pdf's?

I am looking for one...only downloaded the owners manual for it, no parts list or repair/maintenance manual.

Thanks!

Dario

Dario, here's the 288IPL, the workshop manual is the same as the one you already have. This is the epa version ;)

Husky's UK website - IPL's and manuals

Husky's UK website now contains a lot of IPL's for older models. As far as I have observed, the library goes at least back to the CD and S models from the early 1970'ies. For many models ther are a whole series of IPL's, so you probably can find out which changes were made trough the production.
http://www.husqvarna.co.uk/

You just have to open the site start/main/home page, and scroll down a bit until you see mention of IPL's.
Click on the link there, and you will be able to search for both IPL's and user manuals.
There is no table of contents, but if you enter "chain saw" in the search window, you can see what is there.
I think that there is several hundred IPL's there, maybe all IPL's from about 1971 until now.

There is a lot of user manuals also, but not nearly as many. They don't go as far back in time either.

Edit january 2006;
The IPLs and manuals are now availiable on Huskys websites in several countries, not only in the UK.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back