Husqvarna 268

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll said:
Husky's UK website ................
As mentioned, there is several different IPL's for most models. The serial number on the saw should tell you exactly which IPL applies to your saw.
In some cases they can also be used to estimate the age of your saw, based on model changes documented in the IPL's, if you don't have a serial number which tells you that.

To get a complete list of IPL's for one particular model, it is safest to enter the exact model number (but not letters) in the search window.

Last edited:
After studying the IPL's a bit, it seems that the 268 story went about like this:
268xp made at least from 1987 to 1991 - probably until some time in late 1992 or maybe 1993, when it was replaced by the 272xp.
The non-xp 268 first appeared in 1991, and still is a "current" model in parts of the world.

Last edited:
What site do you download manuals from?

I purchased a service manual for my Husky 44 but it covers the wrong years, different version than a few of my 44's. Where can I download different manuals? Thanks as always.

did some one mention jred 670? i thought the super became the champ as time went on? any way buy that 268 and mail me the clutch cover as long as it has a working chain brake :p seriously though if you get it and need anything parts wise i have 3 parts ones.

oldsaw-addict said:
The 670 super and 670 champ have different power ratings, the champ havinh 4.9 and the super having around 4.6 I think. go for the champ jug, you'll just love it.
I do not think that is entierly correct - I think the Super became the Champ when people started winning Worid Championships with it, as Wedge stated above. Power was the same - 4.9hp, until they started to "demote" it in the 1990ies - probably due to emissions..... the last Champs had 4.6hp as far as I know:angry:
The standard 670 from the 1980ies had 3.3kw; 4.5hp - according to CSCC.

deerlakejens said:
I purchased a service manual for my Husky 44 but it covers the wrong years, different version than a few of my 44's. Where can I download different manuals? Thanks as always.
There is a good sourse for Husky IPL's and newer OM's, but sorry - no service manuals - take a look at post 20.

you can pick up a 2100 for cheap, take out the muffler screen and it will rip. i just posted a picture of a chain saw mill with a 2100 beater, just bought it and ran it. a 394 would probably be better. the price sounds right for the 268, though, just not for milling.

It appears that the 268, the 271 and 61 share the same casing if I am not mistaken.
Also, the 272 is a bit of a hybrid in that it has a 52mm piston as does the 281, The difference being that the 272 has a 34mm stroke, while the 281 has a 38mm stroke.
Am I correct in assuming that the 272 and the 281 have the same barrel and piston?
The reason I ask is because I just took ownership of a 272K and a 272S. The K is a cuttoff saw and the S is a stump grinder and I want to make a saw out of them. The PTO side is different than the PTO side of the corresponding chainsaw, meaning it has no oil pump and the bar pad has been milled out.
Also, would it be possible to put a 38mm crank in a 272 casing to create an 80 cc saw?
Thanks in advance for any technical info.
John

SawTroll said:
There is a good sourse for Husky IPL's and newer OM's, but sorry - no service manuals - take a look at post 20.
I have found a workshop manual from about 1997 or so since I posted the above.

At that time, the 61, 268 (non-xp) and 272xp were the remaining Husky saws in that "family" of saws. The 670 Champ and 625 II remained in the Jonsered line-up at that time.
Gypo Logger said:
.... Am I correct in assuming that the 272 and the 281 have the same barrel and piston? ....

The cylinders had at least one difference, as the 272 had a deco-valve, and the 281 did not have it.

I think you should be able to find ut which parts they shared if you look up the IPLs on Huskys website. There is IPLs for the 272k and 272s there also, if my memory is correct.

Last edited:
272 vs 281 pistons

The two pistons are 52mm but the 272 is a 34mm stroke and the 281 is a 38mm stroke.

Sierraazul said:
The only parts interchangeable are the 52mm rings
It looks like that from those IPLs I looked into, judged by part numbers, but it may not be true due to the way the part numbers are "arranged", and the deco-valve on the 272 "messing up" the numbers.

Back