husqvarna 281 worth fixing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
i grabbed a 281 complete with bar and chain (20 something inchs) from a pawn shop the other day. the tag said 'broken piston'. i have $40.00 in it. its not here with me at the moment, nor have i looked inside it yet. at a glance it seems in decent shape.

i already have the mighty 7900 (modified) and was wondering if the 281 is worth my fixing? maybe with the $150.00, 87cc, meteor p/c?

i might add that i have almost zero experience with the husqvarnas.............

Last edited:
fix it you will be very happy with it.
and they resale for 300-400 around here for a decent one.

for the cost of the saw, and a P&C kit you can't beat it with a stick. you might as well replace the bearings and seals

Seeing as you have a 7900 I would fix it and flip it for a nice profit.

And if the 7900 is your only work saw, I would buy a 346/5100 with the profit :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
I would fix it or sell it as parts. I would prefer it over a 7900 myself.

Totally not worth it. Send it to me and I'll cover the shipping. :msp_biggrin:

i grabbed a 281 complete with bar and chain (20 something inchs) from a pawn shop the other day. the tag said 'broken piston'. i have $40.00 in it. its not here with me at the moment, nor have i looked inside it yet. at a glance it seems in decent shape.

i already have the mighty 7900 (modified) and was wondering if the 281 is worth my fixing? maybe with the $150.00, 87cc, meteor p/c?

i might add that i have almost zero experience with the husqvarnas.............

Fix it. I guarantee you- that 7900 wont be so mighty anymore. I sold my 7901, my 288 will never be sold.

If there's any cylinder damage you might as well make it a 288 while you're at it......No matter, as a 281 will pull with authority!!!:rock:

If you fix it, I'll bet you'll be part of the 281/288 cheering squad!!:D

Latest posts

Back