Husqvarna 288XP - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the fine 288XP I just bought from Roger Collins in the Classifieds. First off, I've never seen a more thorough packing job! It was amazing. The only problem, is that he sent me the wrong saw. I thought I was buying a used saw, and I think this one is new, lol. This saw is fantastic! Thanks Roger.

As I do with most older saws that I buy, this one came apart for a thorough cleaning and inspection. I couldn't be happier. This saw is truly like new. Once it has new decals on it, you will truly thing it is. I did paint the muffler. The P&C have very little time on them. Ring gap is still nice and tight. The saw was still a little warm, so compression will likely be close to 160.

You'll notice that I left the spring off the front of it. It already has rubber front AV mounts, as you guys recommended. AFAIK, this is not a Lite saw, as Roger thinks he replaced the recoil. That's a good thing. I don't think Lite decals are available. It looks like a Lite now though with the spring gone. I just like the way it cleans up the front of the saw. That big old spring looks like a tacked on after thought. Anyway...I digress. Also, I'll be replacing the full wrap with a 1/2 wrap. That will no doubt horrify some of you hard core WC guys, but that's the way I want it. I've already got a buyer for this handle.

Here she is with that awesome sounding idle!

IMG_1934-L.jpg

IMG_1935-L.jpg

IMG_1936-L.jpg

IMG_1939-L.jpg

IMG_1940-L.jpg

IMG_1941-L.jpg

IMG_1942-L.jpg

I do have plans to mod this saw. I plan to port it and see just how sweet this old girl can run. This saw is almost on the line of leaving bone stock for me, but I think I'm going to have to go back in there for a little massaging. I've heard too much about how these things can run. I ran the one Joe had at Wigg's GTG last fall and was seriously impressed. BTW, nice work Joe!

The next step will be to order the new decals, and new 1/2 wrap handle, a few gaskets, and a carb kit.

man that is one hell of a cherry 288. i ran one for many years before i discovered the 385 :) my preference on the 288 is to to keep it classic, no lite version for me. i also prefer to remove the front 2 AV mounts on the tank and run just the big spring in the front with 2 spring on lower rear of tank and 2 rubber mounts on upper by air box. so much smoother yet still rigid enough to not flex all over with longer bars. you got yourself a gem there brad. be sure to preserve it the best you can. :rock:

What's up with the carb tuning on this thing? It will idle with the L needle all the way in. It's currently about 5/8 out, and the H is 1 1/8 out. It's plenty rich and turning about 12,500. I have no idea what spec is.

I do have plans to mod this saw. I plan to port it and see just how sweet this old girl can run. This saw is almost on the line of leaving bone stock for me, but I think I'm going to have to go back in there for a little massaging. I've heard too much about how these things can run. I ran the one Joe had at Wigg's GTG last fall and was seriously impressed. BTW, nice work Joe!

The next step will be to order the new decals, and new 1/2 wrap handle, a few gaskets, and a carb kit.
thanks for the comments-i am glad you are pleased/happy with your purchase roger collins

That saw very nice, glad you are happy with it!!
You probably might have noticed already but if you want to do a small muffler mod but yet leave the muffler "factory" here is what I have done in the past with noticeable gains...
Pull the deflector, push the flap in that is partially covering the outlet, turn the deflector 180* so it flow straight out and install a less restrictive spark screen.
That way if you want to put it back to 100% stock you can.

What's the factory RPM spec at WOT?
All I know is that if you tach it to 12,500 and make a video of it, some guy from Ohio with granite countertops may show up and tell you to lean it out.:D:D:D

Beautiful saw Brad. I'd mail you my half wrap for free, but it wouldn't match the "beautiful ness?"
Husky website says 12.5k max, but mine (ported tho) is smoking like Yul Brynner at that speed. The idle speed screw also has almost no effect on mine, the lo jet much more so

I'm actually blown away by the fact that it took you this long to end up with a 288 in the stable, Brad .......I'm biased with 288's, but they really are a must have saw! That's a real nice one too. Really looking forward to your results after porting....Good OEM cylinders are still a dime a dozen it seems, so you could always toss an extra stock top end on the shelf for cheap, just in case you ever want to go back to stock (I doubt it..lol ).

I find the L screw adjustment thing odd though.......I always get a nice full adjustment on the L scew with any of the ones I've done......I do find the H scew on the odd one to be touchy, though (Like an 1/8 turn is huge).

Latest posts

Back