Husqvarna 346xp Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthokie412

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the site. Don't know a ton about chainsaws but I found a used Husqvarna 346xp for sale at a local pawn shop. Upon research, I understand that it's a smaller pro grade saw, which I like. My issue is, I don't know how to tell the condition it's in and if it's a good buy or if it's ragged out and in bad shape. It looks well used. Has some cracked plastic, and the bar looks well used. It is the OE version. Not afraid to rebuild it and/or mod it, but is it worth it? They want 225 for it I think, y'all think that's a reasonable price? I may take a compression tester over and check it. I'm a big fan of good used equipment, if I can get it used, and rebuild it, I'm game. Truthfully, I'm wanting a saw to mod and tinker with, and this seems like a good candidate. What do y'all think? I attached some pictures as well, can anyone tell me some info on the saw such as model year as well?

Attachments

• IMG_3957.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3969.JPG
    IMG_3969.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3970.JPG
    IMG_3970.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3971.JPG
    IMG_3971.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3972.JPG
    IMG_3972.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3974.JPG
    IMG_3974.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3975.JPG
    IMG_3975.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
One of the best saws ever made. It's worth that, but in that condition I'd offer $150 and go from there.

I just went through a 346 yesterday & ported it. Runs damn fine!!! Have 5 of em now. :)

When I go back I'll see if I can do a comp test and if they'll let me start it. What exactly are you seeing that seems tweaked? Is there enough info on the sticker to tell what year the saw is? I was going to try pricing out the parts I can see it needing or think it may need but there's a bunch of different options listed for the 346xp that looks to be somewhat based on the year it was made. Been looking on Craigslist also, but mostly cheap poulans and big pro grade stihls that is love to have, but no use for. Any suggestions on similar saws to the 346xp to look for used?

Is there enough info on the sticker to tell what year the saw is? I was going to try pricing out the parts I can see it needing or think it may need but there's a bunch of different options listed for the 346xp that looks to be somewhat based on the year it was made. Been looking on Craigslist also, but mostly cheap poulans and big pro grade stihls that is love to have, but no use for. Any suggestions on similar saws to the 346xp to look for used?
The tag with date code is on the right side under the handle bar, hard to see, but its there. Most all 346 parts will work on all 346s'. Plenty of parts available and very easy to work on. I just put a 50cc (44.3mm) top end on a OE yesterday.

Other similar saws are 351, 353 and the slightly larger 357xp & 359.

If you ask me that 346 is not worth 225$, I don't think its worth 150$ either, but thats just my opinion.

It has gone through a hard life, the tank has defently a crack around the front mount (you can see the crack start behind the front handle mount on the bottom and goes forward).
Difficult to say, but the front handle bar may be damaged also, out of the pics it looks to be bend.
There is also damage in the start cover.

Its difficult to say without a serial tag, if its older then s/n 020500401 you can't mount NE top end on them due the old crankcase was made for smaller pistons (at least on mine OE who came in 00-01 the crankcase has to be modded to allow a 44.3 mm piston)

Its difficult to say without a serial tag, if its older then s/n 020500401 you can't mount NE top end on them due the old crankcase was made for smaller pistons (at least on mine OE who came in 00-01 the crankcase has to be modded to allow a 44.3 mm piston)
I respectfully disagree Tor. A NE (44.3mm) top end will bolt onto any 346 OE case.
I have two 1999 and a 2004 OE with NE (44.3mm) top ends. I just did one yesterday.
They are all interchangeable.

Would be looking at it, as needing a total rebuild. Piston, Cylinder, Crank bearings, seals, gaskets and any missing or broken parts. Start low like everyone does to me, all they can say is no.

I respectfully disagree Tor. A NE (44.3mm) top end will bolt onto any 346 OE case.
I have two 1999 and a 2004 OE with NE (44.3mm) top ends. I just did one yesterday.
They are all interchangeable.
thats weird Don.
Before I posted I did try a NE set on my 346 xpg case, s/n 00 5100663, piston skirt toutch the case close to BDC, it's a no go.
I would think my other 346 xpg case has the same issue since it can't take a 45 mm slug, s/n 01 2600259.

There was a Service Bulletin (B0200039) about when they modifided the crankcase and also the gasket kit.

What am I looking at money wise for a total rebuild? Would I better off looking for a different saw? What do these saws go for used in good shape? Can you get them remanufactured at a dealer or online?

thats weird Don.
Before I posted I did try a NE set on my 346 xpg case, s/n 00 5100663, piston skirt toutch the case close to BDC, it's a no go.
I would think my other 346 xpg case has the same issue since it can't take a 45 mm slug, s/n 01 2600259.

There was a Service Bulletin (B0200039) about when they modifided the crankcase and also the gasket kit.
That is weird Tor. I don't have serial numbers in front of me & no G models here. But have two 1999 models that NE top ends bolted right on with no modifications?

What am I looking at money wise for a total rebuild? Would I better off looking for a different saw? What do these saws go for used in good shape? Can you get them remanufactured at a dealer or online?
Probably $200 if all oem parts used. A completely rebuilt 346 in nice shape is worth $400+. This saw you're looking at is rough, but fixable. It might not need a full rebuild? Might have a good P&C? Start Low.

That is weird Tor. I don't have serial numbers in front of me & no G models here. But have two 1999 models that NE top ends bolted right on with no modifications?
I guess we just gotta agree that its not granted that we can knock on an NE kit on models before 02, while on some cases it work beautiful without any modds :)
You know what Don, its not the first time none of us will understand what Husky produced, and it wont be the last time :D

So off the top of my head, I'm thinking it needs at least a top cover, starter cover, starter handle, wrap handle, assortment of missing fasteners, tank, bar, and chain. Carb probably needs cleaned, maybe rebuilt, muffler looks pretty corroded, but may be salvageable, probably needs piston and rings, maybe cylinder, and if I get in there and find any issues, probably have to split the cases for seals and bearings. Plus anything else hiding under the covers. Be nice if the bottom end is good to go. I have no issues doing the full rebuild myself, just want to make sure I don't pay too much and wind up at the cost of a new/better saw. Also, thinking about it, the fuel tank was half full when I picked it up, so probably has some nice gum built up in there. I'm thinking Ill still go do a comp test and start it. If it starts and sounds ok I'll offer maybe 100 and see if they take it. Best to go with OEM parts or are aftermarket ok?

Bottom line, what do I need to get it for to be worth my time?

By the way I appreciate the help guys.

Latest posts

Back