Husqvarna 346xp Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we just gotta agree that its not granted that we can knock on an NE kit on models before 02, while on some cases it work beautiful without any modds :)
You know what Don, its not the first time none of us will understand what Husky produced, and it wont be the last time :D
You are right Tor! Here are the numbers off my old one bought new in 2001. NE tp end bolted right on.. It might not be a 1999 model, as I forgot how to read these numbers. lol

965-41 04-00
99 4300 869

So off the top of my head, I'm thinking it needs at least a top cover, starter cover, starter handle, wrap handle, assortment of missing fasteners, bar, and chain. Carb probably needs cleaned, maybe rebuilt, muffler looks pretty corroded, but may be salvageable, probably needs piston and rings, maybe cylinder, and if I get in there and find any issues, probably have to split the cases for seals and bearings. Plus anything else hiding under the covers. Be nice if the bottom end is good to go. I have no issues doing the full rebuild myself, just want to make sure I don't pay too much and wind up at the cost of a new/better saw. I'm not seeing where the tank is cracked. Is that something that can be replaced? Also, thinking about it, the fuel tank was half full when I picked it up, so probably has some nice gum built up in there. I'm thinking Ill still go do a comp test and start it. If it starts and sounds ok I'll offer maybe 100 and see if they take it. Or if it doesn't I'll offer less and plan to rebuild it. They also have a Rancher 450 and a 445 in better shape but they want a lot for them and those are homeowner grade saws?

By the way I appreciate the help guys.

Ya have to pull the muffler and look at the piston to see condition. It might be fine? Comp test is good also. If it runs fine, then it might just need some cosmetic stuff? Too many unknowns. You wont find a better saw in this class, but you can find a better example. I'd pass on the 450 & 445.

So off the top of my head, I'm thinking it needs at least a top cover, starter cover, starter handle, wrap handle, assortment of missing fasteners, tank, bar, and chain. Carb probably needs cleaned, maybe rebuilt, muffler looks pretty corroded, but may be salvageable, probably needs piston and rings, maybe cylinder, and if I get in there and find any issues, probably have to split the cases for seals and bearings. Plus anything else hiding under the covers. Be nice if the bottom end is good to go. I have no issues doing the full rebuild myself, just want to make sure I don't pay too much and wind up at the cost of a new/better saw. Also, thinking about it, the fuel tank was half full when I picked it up, so probably has some nice gum built up in there. I'm thinking Ill still go do a comp test and start it. If it starts and sounds ok I'll offer maybe 100 and see if they take it. Best to go with OEM parts or are aftermarket ok?

Bottom line, what do I need to get it for to be worth my time?

By the way I appreciate the help guys.
I'll take a 346 over an 450 or 445 anyday!!

Back to the 346 we're speaking about, remove clutch cover and the muffler, and take a good look. Even if you're willing to build her up from the bottom there has to be some quality in what you're buying.
Lets say she is better inside then what she is outside and you buy her, the cheapest donator saw is 340/345/350, find one who is scored or has a big hole in the oil tank, those saws donate parts like clutch, chain tensions, clutch cover, start cover, fuel tank, coil, flywheel, carb, boot, and a few more parts.

You are right Tor! Here are the numbers off my old one bought new in 2001. NE tp end bolted right on.. It might not be a 1999 model, as I forgot how to read these numbers. lol

965-41 04-00
99 4300 869
it looks to be a 99 model for me Don :)

I had to run and find another case and sized her up, 346 xpg s/n 00 2800589.
44.2-44.3mm, if I had removed the paint it may be enough space for a 44.3 slug...For fun I sized up one 346 xpg ne trio brake, 46.0mm.
If my memory serves me right, something tells me that Mattyo had the same issue on his 346.

When it goes to Husky, nothing really surprise me, I've had my part of 42/242/246, 346 and 254, one thing I've learned is that none of them are written black&white.
Speaking about Huskies tolerance specs, them 42/242 and later 246, I've seen a few pistons who got a weird skirt marks, it took me awhile before I realized why, them Husky clowns used a head gasket who didnt had enough dimension for the piston lol

If it is too rough, any recommendations? Look for another 346xp or a different model? Maybe another in the XP series? Maybe 357xp?Something pro grade or at least farm/ranch grade. Just looking for a good all around saw that will last me.

Pawn shop also has an Echo 400, and a 440, they any good?

Anyone in north Alabama have a 346xp you want to sell?

If it is too rough, any recommendations? Look for another 346xp or a different model? Maybe another in the XP series? Maybe 357xp?Something pro grade or at least farm/ranch grade. Just looking for a good all around saw that will last me.

Pawn shop also has an Echo 400, and a 440, they any good?

Anyone in north Alabama have a 346xp you want to sell?
I'd keep looking for a 346xp, or 353, or 359 or 357xp. All these models have metal cases and pro quality.

I've never been too fond of Echos, but I'm sure some models are OK.

I'd keep looking for a 346xp, or 353, or 359 or 357xp. All these models have metal cases and pro quality.

I've never been too fond of Echos, but I'm sure some models are OK.

Are these saws the same except for displacement? How would you rank these against each other?

Are these saws the same except for displacement? How would you rank these against each other?
353 is a detuned 346xp, only diff is P&C. All parts interchange.

359 is a detuned 357xp, only diff is P&C and crank stuffers in the xp. All parts interchange.

The 359/357 is slightly larger than the 353/346, but good bit more grunt. I usually run a 346, but sometime like or need the extra grunt of a 357xp. Can't go wrong with any of these!

Found a jonsered 2149 turbo on Craigslist local, says the flywheel is locked up, I'm guessing it's seized. Seller says it's pretty much a 346xp with only slight differences. Is that correct? He's asking $150 which I think is high for a locked up saw but I bet I could get it cheap. Also a jonsered 2250 S for pretty cheap. Are these good saws, as I understand they are red Huskys. Also a 365 local, bigger saw I think, asking 300 looks like good condition.

Don't recall what the 2149 is, maybe a 351, or 346 OE?. Not worth $150 though.

The 2153 is a 346xp internally & a 2152 is a 353. Both very good saws.

I believe a Jred 2250 is a homeowner plastic saw, probably same as a 450?

365 is a very good saw, if you need/want one that large. $300 not a bad price at all.

Don't recall what the 2149 is, maybe a 351, or 346 OE?. Not worth $150 though.

The 2153 is a 346xp internally & a 2152 is a 353. Both very good saws.

I believe a Jred 2250 is a homeowner plastic saw, probably same as a 450?

365 is a very good saw, if you need/want one that large. $300 not a bad price at all.

Seller is also selling a Stihl MS260 Pro that has a starting issue related to the choke but runs good once it's started and a MS261 c-m. Asking 180 and 300 respectively. Both seem to be good from what I've read, and are the size I'm looking for. Probably less headache than the 2149 and the really beat 346 I originally asked about. Any opinions on either of those? From the photos both look to be in very good shape. I guess the 261 is m tronic which seems like a nice feature but also a piece of electronics that can fail, but it's in great shape, the 260 pro is also good, but needs repaired. Thoughts?

Assuming it runs good, what will it cost to replace the broken and missing parts? Looks to me like you'd be better off buying a new Echo.

According to the seller, its something with the choke linkage and it's an $8 dollar part. However I tend to not take a sellers word for it. If that indeed is all it is, then I think that's not a bad deal at 180. What do used 261c-m go for?

What Echo are you referring to? I do like the 590 Timber Wolf. Is an Echo on the quality level of a Stihl or Husqvarna? I don't care about brand but I would like a pro grade saw, something that will last.

According to the seller, its something with the choke linkage and it's an $8 dollar part. However I tend to not take a sellers word for it. If that indeed is all it is, then I think that's not a bad deal at 180. What do used 261c-m go for?

What Echo are you referring to? I do like the 590 Timber Wolf. Is an Echo on the quality level of a Stihl or Husqvarna? I don't care about brand but I would like a pro grade saw, something that will last.

Not sure what size the 346 is, whatever is comparable. The CS590 is a 59cc saw, and one of their best deals. Based on what is damaged and you said there were missing screws, you'll be out more than $8.

Not sure what size the 346 is, whatever is comparable. The CS590 is a 59cc saw, and one of their best deals. Based on what is damaged and you said there were missing screws, you'll be out more than $8.

I think there's a little confusion, probably my fault this thread has jump around. The 346xp is in rough shape and needs a lot, but I found someone selling a jred 2149, an ms260, and an ms261c-m. The jred is 150, and is seized so I could put a 346xp top end on it, the 260 is 180 and runs good but is hard to start there is an issue with the choke, and could be an easy fix, the 261 is 300 and needs nothing and is pretty new. The 346 is probably in too bad of shape when I could buy something in better shape for same money or a little more. There's also a husky 365 but I think it might be more saw than I need, it is also 300. Right now I'm probably going to grab the 260 or 261 if it's a fair price. Just need to decide which would be better. I plan on modding, and I don't mind doing all the work and or a full rebuild myself if needed.

I think there's a little confusion, probably my fault this thread has jump around. The 346xp is in rough shape and needs a lot, but I found someone selling a jred 2149, an ms260, and an ms261c-m. The jred is 150, and is seized so I could put a 346xp top end on it, the 260 is 180 and runs good but is hard to start there is an issue with the choke, and could be an easy fix, the 261 is 300 and needs nothing and is pretty new. The 346 is probably in too bad of shape when I could buy something in better shape for same money or a little more. There's also a husky 365 but I think it might be more saw than I need, it is also 300. Right now I'm probably going to grab the 260 or 261 if it's a fair price. Just need to decide which would be better. I plan on modding, and I don't mind doing all the work and or a full rebuild myself if needed.
I missed that turn! I would go with the MS261C myself, but I like Stihl. IIRC, Brad Snelling likes the MS261C also. Home Depot sells the Echo CS290 pretty cheap, but it may be more than you want.

Latest posts

Back