Husqvarna 346xp Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed that turn! I would go with the MS261C myself, but I like Stihl. IIRC, Brad Snelling likes the MS261C also. Home Depot sells the Echo CS290 pretty cheap, but it may be more than you want.

What about the M-tronic version? I plan on modding, MM at first but likely gasket delete and porting too. Can the electronic adjustment keep up with the mods or will it run out of fuel? And is 300 a fair price for a used one?

All of them! Lol

That's what I like to hear! So where im at now is deciding if I want to buy the MS260 for 180, fix it, and mod it, or splurge for the MS261C-M for 300, and just mod it. Assuming the 260 only needs a couple choke/kill switch related parts, I could probably fix it and mod it for less than the 261cm, but give up the features the newer saw brings. According to the seller, the 260 does this: The choke/kill switch feels like it has little resistance, and he is not sure if it is opening and closing properly. To start the saw, you have to hold the throttle wide open while you crank. Then, to shut the saw off, you have to put the choke to the on position. The saw runs strong once running. The shoke shaft rod is $8 from Stihl. He thinks that it is flooding, hence holding the throttle open to start. Does that sound like that shaft is the issue? Either way, i want to compression test both saws, and see their condition and how they run in person, that may make the decision for me.

Guys, if it were you, would you rather have an MS260 or an MS261c-m?

Well, back to the drawing board. The 261cm sold. I did pick up a brand new Echo CS-400 for $170, I needed something last Saturday and came across the Echo. Small homeowner saw, but from what I've read it's a decent little saw for around the house. They sell new for $299.00 at my local Echo dealer, so I think I got a good deal. I modded the muffler, removed the limiter caps, got my idle and L screws adjusted, H screw seems a little rich, I turned it about a 1/4 turn richer after setting it to the factory setting, but I don't know if its where it needs to be, I need to cut some bigger wood so I can hear it cut. It was cheap, so I'll either try porting it, or selling it and putting the money toward a bigger saw. Im now thinking 60cc, since I can us the small echo for limbing. Narrowed it between the Echo CS-620P, Stihl MS362c-m, and Husqvarna 562xp. Id like the Stihl or Husky, but money wise the Echo saves a bunch and my understanding is they run pretty good, especially modded. Going to call around to my local dealers and get prices of new, and keep looking on craigslist, and in the classifieds here on this site. Any suggestions are much appreciated, and thank you for the help so far.

The Echo CS590 is very close to the CS620. Congratulations on finding your smaller saw.

I looked at the 590 and really liked it, seems like the best value for the money. the 600p also. I like the pro features on the 600/620 like the mag clutch cover, and I like the unlimited coil, bigger carb, and improved cylinder and piston of the 620 as well as the better bar. Plus I was looking at the wrap handle model. Going to compare local out the door prices for the saws I listed, as well as a new ms261cm, not necessarily opposed to a 50cc saw, and I'm sold on the 261 in the 50cc class. If price of ms362 is close enough to echo 620p, I'll probably go that route. Love the Husky but price is higher. There is a brand new 590 local for $325, could be a good option as long as I can add the unlimited coil.

Well got some prices and the Echo is 550, the stihl is over 700 and I imagine the husky is even higher, so looks like it’s going to be the echo 620pw. Just need to decide bar length and whether or not I want the full wrap handle. I like the idea of having the additional versatility of the wrap handle so I’m leaning that way and I either want the 20” or 24” bar. Maybe even the 27”, i have a big maple that needs to come down I need to measure it and see what I will need. Hopefully the 20 will do it.

By the way, here’s a picture of the Echo cs-400 I got, and one of the muffler mod. I split the muffler and drilled out the cat. Completely removed the baffle, cut the lower deflector out, and opened up the exit holes to take advantage of the full deflector. Reinstalled the spark arrestor. Runs/sounds pretty good.

31071707-6E1D-4F89-B91C-FF6D482BA307.jpeg 7B219F62-4C1F-4E9D-B031-1C0849C3E569.jpeg

Back