Husqvarna 346XP Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been using the new Husqvarna 346XP saw that I purchased a couple months ago and so far I am impressed. I'm still running the stock 16" bar and chain and figure I should buy a spare chain or two to have on hand when I need them. Can someone recommend an excellent replacement when its time to make the switch, hoping for something that will make this thing even more mean and nasty :). Wondering if maybe someone on this forum can make me a couple great chains that will perform even better than the stock one I am running now. Who is the chain building god here? Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Oregon 95vp will be the narrow kerf semi chisel that most 346s come with. You can also use 20 bpx which is also semi chisel. 20lpx will be the fastest cutting full chisel available from Oregon. All these is oregon chain in .325x.050, providing thats what yours have.

Last edited:
Oregon LP/LPX is the best chain in .325, and the best one on that saw.

7 or 8 pin rim is up to you and your conditions - but my bet is on the standard 7 pin for genaral use, on a stock saw.

How would the lpx compare to Stihl RSC? I've had great results with RSC in .325.

I got a 346 and lpx is whats going on it as soon as it arrives. Some may disagree with me, but has far as general wood cutting, I like the NK semi chisel pretty well. Its going to be a little slower than the LPX, but itll last longer between sharpenings, and isnt as particular about its edge. JMO

How would the lpx compare to Stihl RSC? I've had great results with RSC in .325.

I hear A lot of people say they like the RSC better. Ive never ran any RSC, but ive priced it and decided against it, but my only local dealer is high on everthing.

The best cutting chain would be a square ground chisel. I don't know if you could get .325 on a grinder to sharpen it.

RSC in .325 is very good, but not quite as good as Oregon LP.

My experience

Just the opposite. RSC will hold the point / edge longer making it faster in the long run. You can really feel the difference in the steel temper when filing.

As far as the speed of the two chains, the knowledge and skill of the person filing it has far more to do with the chain's ability to cut than who manufactured it.

Take Care

I got a 346 and lpx is whats going on it as soon as it arrives. Some may disagree with me, but has far as general wood cutting, I like the NK semi chisel pretty well. Its going to be a little slower than the LPX, but itll last longer between sharpenings, and isnt as particular about its edge. JMO

Some don't know any better.:D No really, semi-chisel works much better for me, cuttin firewood, dead oak. I'm running mostly Stihl RMC right now, but Oregon works fine also.

My experience

Just the opposite. RSC will hold the point / edge longer making it faster in the long run. You can really feel the difference in the steel temper when filing.

As far as the speed of the two chains, the knowledge and skill of the person filing it has far more to do with the chain's ability to cut than who manufactured it.

Take Care

The RSC cuts a wider kerf when new, and has much shorter cutters, that taper faster. I can see no difference in filing them - both are very good chain, that is easy to keep sharp. :)

Some don't know any better.:D No really, semi-chisel works much better for me, cuttin firewood, dead oak. I'm running mostly Stihl RMC right now, but Oregon works fine also.

I have very little use for semi-chisel, as I mostly cut clean and green birch.

Man, I definitely need an education on chainsaw terminology, all of this sounds like a foreign language to me. I was looking on Bailey's site and it shows 20, 21, 22 LPX in .050, .058, .063......What is pin rim? Educate me here.

Last edited:
Man, I definitely need an education on chainsaw terminology, all of this sounds like a foreign language to me. What is pin rim?

Kinda like a sprocket on a bicycle/motorcycle. A 7 pin is smaller than a 8 pin. The 7 gives more torque than the 8, but the 8 spins faster than the 7. For that saw stock, Id stick with the factory 7 pin rim.

If you have a narrow kerf bar, you may want to stay with a narrow kerf chain. The NK bar and chain combo was created to make it easier to cut. Since the width of the kerf (the width of the cut in the wood) is less, there is less resistance (its what racers do when they narrow their race chain).

There are two chains available for the narrow kerf bar. Woodland Pro 20NK is a narrow kerf, round ground chain that does not have any anti-kick back provisions.

The Oregon 95VP or H30 is a narrow kerf, round ground chain that does have anti-kick back on the driver link.

If you are only going to cut clean wood, then you might look at the LPX or RSC chains, full chisel, however they are not narrow kerf. I do not know what percentage of faster cutting they provide over a narrow kerf round chain (anyone care to estimate?).

I only cut dirty hardwood in difficult conditions, there is always a strong potential for kick back - therefore I use the 95VP/H30 chains.

Chase, I thought I should add that you can make the stock chain more aggressive at cutting by 'dropping the rakers' (increasing the cutting angle).

I increased the cutting angle to a little more than 6 degrees on the H30 chain and it was an animal while bucking up a dried out pine tree. Unfortunately, it was also too aggressive while limbing the same tree. I choose to use a 5 degree cutting angle for my general work with the 18" bar.

For the 15" bar and arborist work, I prefer an angle closer to 4 degrees. The limbs are smaller up in the tree and the work is more dangerous, 4 degrees will zip through a limb using only half the engine speed and still get the work done in plenty of time.

You can also play with the 'hook' in the cutter. I have 3/16" files from 4 different manufacturers that are all a different diameter. The Stihl file is the largest in diameter, followed by the Husky, then a local manufacuter and finally a cheap Chinese file from the hardware store.

I'm still playing with the 'hook' on the cutter to see what I like best for the conditions I usually work in. However, as the cutters wears down, I expect that I will be using the smaller files for the final touch up.

This forum has a lot on modifying the engines to increase the performance, you will also find some hints on modifying the chain.

346xp chain

I use Husqvarna H 21 which my dealer tells me is the same as oregon 21 LPX.He said oregon makes it for huqvarna.It does look the same to me and I like it very well but I cut all clean wood.I run an 18'' bar not that it makes any difference.Hope this helps.

I use Husqvarna H 21 which my dealer tells me is the same as oregon 21 LPX.He said oregon makes it for huqvarna.It does look the same to me and I like it very well but I cut all clean wood.I run an 18'' bar not that it makes any difference.Hope this helps.

Your dealer is correct. H21 used to be 21LP, but is now the newer 21LPX.

Back