Husqvarna 350 back together - dripping chainsaw oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koriley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got my Husqvarna 350 put back together yesterday and running pretty good. Now it has too much oil on the bar and is dripping chain oil from the underside. Am guessing it's the oil pump assembly for the chain. Not sure how/why it didn't leak prior to engine rebuild, but I'm not complaining. Should replacing the oil pump assembly resolve the issue? Anything else I should be looking at or concerned about?

Thanks!! Kelly

My 359 started doing the same thing, leaking bar oil just sitting on the bench. It appears to be coming from the same place where it is supposed to be coming from, just that it is coming out all the time? I figure better than not getting oil at all, but wasted bar oil cost money.

I did go to the Husvarna dealer and buy a gallon of HV bar oil. I noticed when I put it in (after rebuild and once I got it running) it seems much thinner than anything I've used before.......even when set on lowest flow setting. Am guessing its a winter blend. I'll take it apart and clean everything up. Maybe try a thicker viscosity oil when current oil runs out.

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. Kelly

The oil thickness will not make it leak or not leak. It has a problem someplace just like mine.

For the saw that's leaking while sitting on the bench, try opening the oil cap after you're done with it. I have a 55, and a 450 here that will do the same thing. They seem to build pressure in the oil tank, if I open the cap and bleed the air, they don't do it.

HTH

My SIL's 455 rancher leaked to empty when stored from new, but (out of warranty) recently took apart & found oil pump mount screw holes stripped in the (plastic?) case, and was able to fix with epoxy in screw holes. I would recommend teflon tape on the screws, if you have same problem.

My Husq. 235 pack saw does the same thing. Think the low end of the totem pole may have a gravity fed non adjustable oiler v.s. having the crank run a mechanical oiler that is sealed properly and doesn't leak when not in use. BTW I had a 460 Rancher that did the same thing. I understand venting it by opening the cap might help, didn't work for me.

Most have a tank vent, but it's a one way check valve, not venting both ways. Open the cap when done. If that doesn't fix it, disassemble and see whats wrong. A couple of mine have been completely gone through.. no fix, they just leak and I empty the tank when done.

Check the oil strainer on the bottom of the saw. It's a little gray plug with a black o-ring held in with a self stripping phillips screw. They are prone to leak.strainer.PNG

Started it again last night, seems to leak/drip predominantly when it's running, and for a very short period of time after it shuts off.

Thanks again for all of the advice/input.

B. rgds, Kelly

There were some threads on here that mentioned using a little sealant around the oil intake tube on the 346XP.
oil tube.PNG

I will try burping the tank fill cap also if this doesn't work. I am going to buy a cheap cookie sheet type tray to set the saw on, maybe save the oil and run through a strainer when I get enough oil to justify it. Bar oil is not cheap anymore.

Back