Husqvarna 350 leaks bar oil. HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NormK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 2003 model Husqvarna 350 that is leaking bar oil from around the "screen" on the bottom of the crank case. I took the "screen" off and there is no o-ring or gasket of any kind (maybe that is why it leaks). There is also a small hole next to the screw that holds the "screen" on that appears to go no where. Can I plug that? Anyone ever fix one of these or have any advice?
Thanks!KIMG0580.JPG

Looks like the ridges are supposed to form the seal. Probably a cheap part or use some sealant. I wouldn't be confident that it is the source of the leak without cleaning the saw and letting it sit with oil in the tank.

The ridges on the base of the oil screen seal it. Check closely for damage. That said, that thing doesn't just start leaking. Leakage behind the metal bar plate is often mis-diagnosed as that screen leaking. The fit where the oil hose enters the tank is a very common spot to leak. The pressure from the bar plate creates the seal where the hose enters the tank. As the saw ages that plate relaxes and a leak develops. You may be able to re-bend the plate or add some sealant in that area if you discover that as the actual source of your leak.

Looks like the ridges are supposed to form the seal. Probably a cheap part or use some sealant. I wouldn't be confident that it is the source of the leak without cleaning the saw and letting it sit with oil in the tank.
First, thanks for your input.
I have had this saw for a long time. It has leaked since I got it second hand from my former boss. I do not know exactly when he got it, but the serial number seems to indicate that it is a 2003 model. The saw has sat unused for the past several years. For a long time I put used motor oil in it for bar oil. That is why the oil stain is so dark. I have learned my lesson and am now using only "bar oil" from now on. I did a good bit of cleaning before I took the picture. You should have seen it and the gas tank before I cleaned it (some). I will clean it to the point you can eat off of it as soon as a part that I am waiting for arrives. I am not sure if that is the only place it is leaking, but I am sure that it does leak from there.
I am going to put this back together with some 1184 or Seal-All. I used Seal-All on my Jonsered CS2255 with good results. Again, thanks for your input.

The ridges on the base of the oil screen seal it. Check closely for damage. That said, that thing doesn't just start leaking. Leakage behind the metal bar plate is often mis-diagnosed as that screen leaking. The fit where the oil hose enters the tank is a very common spot to leak. The pressure from the bar plate creates the seal where the hose enters the tank. As the saw ages that plate relaxes and a leak develops. You may be able to re-bend the plate or add some sealant in that area if you discover that as the actual source of your leak.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I know it at least leaks some from this point. I would suspect it is at least 75%. I have not completely torn the saw apart yet (I am going to be replacing the intake clamp, boot and partition soon as the "bellows" comes in), but so far I have not seen any other way for oil to get out of the tank but through this "screen". I do not see any "oil hose" except where it comes off of the pump and up to where it oils the bar.
I have a Jonsered CS2255 that was leaking way worse than this Husqvarna 350 (if you can believe that) and I used a product called "Seal-All" on the rubber hose where it pushes into the tank. So far, so good. No more leaks on that saw. I think I am going to go with 1184 (Three Bond) to seal this "screen" on this saw, but first I am going to finish the tear down and clean up.
Again, thanks for your input on this matter.

Back