Husqvarna 350 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDLSE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. 350 was running when put away about 2 years ago. Now won't start/run. Replaced with OEM ignition module, new plug, cleaned carb (actually it was very clean when I disassembled it). After multiple no start, I pulled the mixture screw limiters and started at 1 turn on both hi and low. Nothing. Opened the low to about 2 turns and got a burrp back through the carb. Kept opening the low by an eighth of a turn and still no start. I get an occasional burp/flash back through the carb (air filter removed). It seems to be acting as if the timing is way off allowing ignition before the piston has closed the intake port. The nut holding the flywheel was tight. I tried to pull the flywheel but it wouldn't budge even with a puller tightened to the point of my being concerned about damaging the flywheel. So...any suggestions? And - what is the best way of pulling the flywheel?. And - what is the part number for the metal clamp to replace the plastic one used on the intake throat? Any help would be appreciated.

Did you try compresion test. If low pull muffler and check piston/cylinder.

Did you try compresion test. If low pull muffler and check piston/cylinder.
Thanks for the help. I didn't try that yet because it was running good when last used so I focused on ignition and carb. I'll check compression tomorrow. What is an acceptable range for this model saw?

At least 110-120psi. It does sound like the timing is out of adjustment though. Unfortunately that may mean you will need a new flywheel if it sheared since the key is cast into it. Unless you can do some grinding or filing and put a key in there.

I would be checking the fuel line first thing, on a saw that sat for 2 years. After all that cranking, if the plug isn't wet (flooded), there is a good chance you have a fuel delivery issue. Is there a strong blue spark?

Hi. Thanks for the replies but....boy do I feel stupid! I'm a better than average back yard mechanic having helped build and maintain both drag racing and sports car racers. In over 50 years of car and truck ownership I've never paid anyone for repairs. So you'd think that I would know better. Some history - the saw belongs to my older brother who lives in another state. While visiting him this summer I thought that I'd help him out by clearing a fallen tree. That's when I found that his saw would not start. Since I was away from my tools, the only check I could make was checking for spark. No spark so I packed up the saw to take home to fix. I ordered an OEM ignition module and decided to install it when a series of rainy days prevented any other outside work. Well...after spending a few hours with no start, I dug into the carb. It was clean. The best I could get was an occasional burp BACK through the carb. That's when I decided to seek advice from the experts on this board. I never thought to check compression since my brother said the saw was running good when he put it away. Put the pro quality compression gauge on the saw and got ZERO compression. Pulled the muffler and found the piston was badly scored. OUCH...a $50 module and a $45 new OEM carb on the way. The piston/cylinder was apparently so scored that it felt like good compression when pulling the starter cord. So I called my brother to give him a tongue lashing about oil/gas mix and then learned that he had lent the saw to a neighbor but never checked it when he got it back!!!!!! If you are good enough (dumb enough) to lend a 2-stroke tool to anyone, give them a jug of premixed fuel and bar oil! Anyway...
1. Is this otherwise little used saw worth rebuilding ("reconditioned" Husqvarna saws of different sizes are readily available on Ebay for around $200)?
2. If worth rebuilding, stay with the OEM specs and parts or go for building a "super" version as described in some of the 350 posts?
3. If 2., is there a particular post or sticky that gives a good description of the process and the part #'s that I can rely on since I've never moded a chain saw before.
4. Or, a quick read of some posts suggests that there are a few experts on this board who will mod a 350 for a member. Can anyone give me the ID's of the members who will do this kind of work?
Thanks for the help (and the sympathy or scorn).

Latest posts

Back