Husqvarna 357xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAM2940

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2003 357xp it does run but will not idle, smells like its dumping gas. Saw looks all original, has auto decomp and plastic intake clamp. I went ahead and ordered a new zama carb, but would like to know what other parts are needed to correctly update or get rid of known problem parts. Also do i need the carb flange to install the zama carb.
Thanks for any help.

You needs to delete that auto decomp and plastic intake clamp. Should be able to just plug the decomp stuff on both ends, but never seen one first hand so not 100% sure on whats involved. Usually the intake partition/clamp is sold as a kit.

Thats what i want to do is get this saw running good, Im going to go through the saw and replace auto decomp and try to get a new intake clamp.

All you need to do is plug the hose coming from the de-comp and install a regular one on the cylinder. I did mine a couple of years ago and it worked great. Also you might replace the plastic clamp with a metal one just to be on the safe side. I have a couple of older Husqvarnas with the plastic clamp but I keep an eye on them...

Just got 357xp back from the shop today. It has a new carb last month, don't know what kind. Ran four and a half tanks through it and problems starting it when warm. Called the shop and they said bring it in, new carb made need tweaking when breaking in.

Shop called Saturday, said there was no throttle response, bluuur and quit, like I indicated. Said he dumped my gas and put fresh gas in, and no problem. I use at least 2 1/2 gallons of mix a week, w/Stihl Ultra synthetic. No issues with other equipment. He is saying something separates out in the bottom of the can and does not mix back in.

I use premium. Is the premium stale when I get it. He thinks so, says use regular, or better yet the recreational fuel ($6.00/gal. plus mix at $2.00/gal). Like I said, been doing this for many, many years, three saws, leaf blower, weed whacker...

Is he on the right track?

Picked saw up today, but still feeling under the weather so did not run it yet. I did buy another gas can, and it will be dedicated to this saw.

He also said I don't know how to sharpen, that the points on the chisel tooth were dull. Nice.
It was dull when I took it in.

I use a Stihl three in one file, and touch it up in a bench vise every half cord or so. He also indicated the saw was dusty. It was, but I cleaned the filter when trying to get it started, so that wasn't the problem. It was dusty from cutting some logs of dead oak that were pin holed and felt like pine. Junk wood I cut up to burn in the out building as it can't be sold. Otherwise I'd have a pile of crap logs laying about.

There was no charge for the work, and education.
Is he on the right track?

Not sure if he's on right track or not but I'm pretty particular where I buy gas for my equipment. In the two stroke stuff I use non ethanol gas at 91 octane usually with Stihl 2 stroke oil. I have several Lawn Boy mowers that I use ethanol in but they use so much I hate to buy the expensive stuff. Only time will tell if the fuel is all that's wrong with your saw, could be ignition also..

Back