Husqvarna 359 or Stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plowboy83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some opinions on which saw to get. Was looking for a smaller saw than my 066. It gets a little heavey limbing trees. My 009l took a dump and was going to go buy a new 261. I was telling my dad about my idea and he said to just take his husqvarna 359. He has prob only ran 20 tanks at most threw it in scence he bought it. It still looks brand new. I never been around a 261 and was wondering if the power would be close to the husky. I think the husky would be heavier but that part won't bother me its pretty lite. I was thinking the 359 will out cut it for sure. I just wanting a 261 I guess I just need talked out of it thanks

Both saws are so close IMO and it would come down to where you cut, cutting done in a clear landing Husky, bush work get the Stihl, for the one simple reason the Husky doesn't have a flat bottom and won't stay put if you put it down on a log.

I'd take the 359 and run. More power...same-ish weight. The 261 is a pig of a 50cc, albeit a strong one. If you want a real nice limbing saw, find an 026/260 or 346 in good condition.

I have owned my 359 for 13 years and sold my 261 after 4 years my opinion I would keep my 600 dollars and haggle with my father on the 359

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have owned my 359 for 13 years and sold my 261 after 4 years my opinion I would keep my 600 dollars and haggle with my father on the 359

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Grabbed the saw cut a cord of eucalyptus this morning he is a running SOB wonder what a muffler mod would do to it. Wish the was someone with a 261 around here. Going to go back after eat lunch and try to cut 2 more cords. Dad said he has no use for it and to just keep it if I want it

Definitely would take the 359. Muffler mod and base gasket delete and go cut.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If it was me I'd buy my dad something he could use or needs of about $300 for a clean 359. They are stout saws and I feel like a modded one is a sweet setup for some good cutting and fast. I couldn't accept a free saw from dad. We both work too hard for our money. Great score let's see pics.

Looks like it could have a CAT muffler since it's an e-tech. There's definitely some significant gains to be made from a muffler mod if so. Find a non-CAT muffler and open the outlet to the size of the deflector.

Nice saw.

Looks like it could have a CAT muffler since it's an e-tech. There's definitely some significant gains to be made from a muffler mod if so. Find a non-CAT muffler and open the outlet to the size of the deflector.

Nice saw.
Ok I'll check it out can you get a non cat muffler from baileys or somewhere like that

Looks like some magnesium "rot" going on underneath. Clean it out with a dremel and coat with some paint to stop it. Otherwise it looks almost brand new! Great steal on that one!

Further, I would buy your dad a Dolmar 421 in exchange. For around 300$ it belongs, at least in my book, to one of the best buys out there. Real EASY to start and built like a pro saw that behaves like one size up. Pro's here have mentioned running hundreds of refill's through them without any thing.

Looks like some magnesium "rot" going on underneath. Clean it out with a dremel and coat with some paint to stop it. Otherwise it looks almost brand new! Great steal on that one!

Further, I would buy your dad a Dolmar 421 in exchange. For around 300$ it belongs, at least in my book, to one of the best buys out there. Real EASY to start and built like a pro saw that behaves like one size up. Pro's here have mentioned running hundreds of refill's through them without any thing.

So white death on plastic bodied saw .... I never knew.....

So white death on plastic bodied saw .... I never knew.....
For me it looks like the part behind the chain catcher around the chain oiler adjustment hole is affected, although the picture quality is not good enough to be sure. If it is only saw dust, then the OP should consider sharpening his chain.

But then again you sound like the big kahuna and I am sure you will enlighten us all by telling us that this and the part on which the starter is mounted all is only a plastic bodied saw...

Latest posts

Back