Husqvarna 359 power issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racinrichy

Reaction score
Ok folks. i just bought a husky 359 recently and started cutting wood with my old man on an endevour to make some money this summer since being a college student and a collegiate athlete takes up most of time i can't really get a job and be successfull in college. ANYWAY, i am lovin this new saw and have been readin here for like two weeks now and i have read alot about these muffler mods alot of folks are doin. my dad and i are pretty mechanically inclined (been building and racing cars for a some years now), so i guess my question is how is this done. and since my saw is an e-tech this muffler mod might be a little tougher than one that isn't an e-tech? i have read that you can get a non e-tech muffler from baileys for around 40 or something like that. so if i decided to tackle this muffler port job how exactly would i go about this. does this effect the life of the saw. and how much would i have to turn the H and L screws on my saw? i am in MT and at a pretty high elevation (around 5-6000 where i get wood) does this effect it? so i guess what i want is more power. i am cutting logs anywhere from 10 to 40 inches (the forty inchers are few and far between) again i am pretty new to this so any and all help is welcome. Thanks guys! if you need clarification on what i am sayin drop me a line! thanks all.

kyle

welcome to AS... do a search for muffler mods. loads of great information.

first off... buy protective gear! labonville has excellent chaps for not much $$$ compared to a trip to hospital.

you need ear protection, especially for modded saws. personal tastes... my fav is a Peltor Lumberjack™ Hardhat System

know where most chainsaw injuries occur and be aware of how kickback works.

The non EPA muffler will help, but it can be opened up a little more yet and gain some umph. You will need to pull the black plastic cover off the side of the carb and clip off the tabs on the 2 limiter caps. Then richen them up by turning counter clockwise to get the mixture back in line. You will likely find the saw will want to turn slightly over factory spec RPM when done. Thats ok, it's not a factory spec saw anymore.

The saw will run cooler getting that cat muffler off it, that saw should gain about 30 to 35% performance with just a good muffler mod.

I don't think there is any escaping it, if you pull more power and RPM out of a motor, internal stresses are higher and some parts will wear faster. None the less, well maintained and cared for with good fuel, and lots (at least 40:1 IMHO) of good quality oil, the saw should last a very long time. I am sure more saw come to a premature end due to poor maintenance or fuel then due to work saw porting.

Like 046 posted there is a crap load of reading here alone on muffler mods, hundreds of photos and lots of how to's.

Back