Husqvarna 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heilman181

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I was in the market for the Rancher 455 and decided to do some online research. Then, I stumbled on this site. I posted a few questions and the next thing I know, I was brainwashed! :laugh: I ended up getting the 359 and cant wait to try it out! It is an e-tech model, because I was unable to find a non e-tech one anywhere. I have modified every motorcycle I ever owned, so it will probably only be a matter of time. Not that I need it though, I do not cut much wood, but watch out when I do! :D

Stupid question #83,725: Is there a specified amount of bar oil to run, or do you just fill it up tighten the cap.

Congrats on the 359!

Top off the bar oil each time you top off the fuel. It's ok to run out of fuel before bar oil, but not the reverse. If they run out pretty close together that's good.

Many guys here run the bar oil adjustment wide open for as much oil flow as possible - just keep an eye on it and don't run out.

Chaser

Heilman181 said:
Well I was in the market for the Rancher 455 and decided to do some online research. Then, I stumbled on this site. I posted a few questions and the next thing I know, I was brainwashed! :laugh: I ended up getting the 359 and cant wait to try it out! It is an e-tech model, because I was unable to find a non e-tech one anywhere. I have modified every motorcycle I ever owned, so it will probably only be a matter of time. Not that I need it though, I do not cut much wood, but watch out when I do! :D

Stupid question #83,725: Is there a specified amount of bar oil to run, or do you just fill it up tighten the cap.

Fill her up all the way. Tightening the cap is optional. Make sure she is oiling before hitting the wood the first time and check bar oil level at half a tank of fuel. Seen new ones go both ways. Should run out of fuel before oil.

Happy Sawing.

Fred

Thanks guys! The saw came with the adjustable oiler setting on 2. The manual says change it to 3 (wide open) for 18 to 20 inch bar, so I did!

you'll realy like the 359, i bought the jonsered 2159c just before xmas great saw. i use light bar oil from now till spring as we get some fairly chilly days up here, i have yet to run the oil empty with setting on full before running out of fuel.

timberwolf said:
From what I have seen the 359 does well to have the muffler opened up.
I don't believe that a muffler mod alone does much more to the 359/2159 than to other modern saws in the same class, but could of course be wrong.

The peculiarity of these saws is that they take extremely well to more advanced mods - as porting.

I am sure Jokers and/or EHP will correct me if I am wrong.:D

Last edited:
Maybe so, from what I had gathered a stock 361 takes a stock 359, with mufflers opened it gets close, and modded the 359 may come out on top.

The removable port cover plates just beg to be lifted.

SawTroll said:
I don't believe that a muffler mod alone does much more to the 359/2159 than to other modern saws in the same class, but could of course be wrong.

The peculiarity of these saws is that they take extremely well to more advanced mods - as porting.

I am sure Jokers and/or EHP will correct me if I am wrong.:D

timberwolf said:
Maybe so, from what I had gathered a stock 361 takes a stock 359, with mufflers opened it gets close, and modded the 359 may come out on top.

The removable port cover plates just beg to be lifted.

The 359 responds very well to muffler mods as does any current saw.

When modded by EHP both saws are great but have slightly different personalities. The 359 runs best at 13,800 RPM..........the 361 is best at around 14,800 RPM.

The 359 is a more "torquey" saw. The 361 is a higher rever!!!

You can't go wrong with either saw!!!

Last edited:
Heilman181, I think you made an excellent choice of saw. I was trying to choose between 359 and Stihl 361 and bought the 361 this year. The final decision was based on dealer support in my area. 45 miles to the nearest "real" Husky dealer...prefer not to do business with the local shop. So let us know how this 359 cuts!

Take the time to read the manual, including all the safety stuff. People who have been cutting for a long time (most of the people on this site) know as second nature the situations that can get you into trouble, if not get you killed. People are not born knowing it. Take the time to learn what you need to look out for, and get the right safety gear to protect yourself.

Then go out and have a great time with your saw!

rahtreelimbs said:
The 359 responds very well to muffler mods as does any current saw.

Rah is that a Global statement or does it only apply to saws sold in the US?

rahtreelimbs said:
Another nice thing about the 359 is that you are about $100 cheaper over the 361. That is roughly half the cost of a saw mod!
not at the price I got the 361...$473 delivered....already muffler modded, maybe more.:D

rahtreelimbs said:
Another nice thing about the 359 is that you are about $100 cheaper over the 361. That is roughly half the cost of a saw mod!
Saw pricing sure is confusing.

Over here the 359 made by our Swedish nabours cost a bunch of money more than the German made MS361, and the 357xp is way up there in price, even when it is on "campain sale"....
.....in the US the Huskys are cheaper, even though they have travelled over the pond and the MS361s are made inland.....

What it tells me is that the prices are more about marketing strategies than actual cost of development, production and freight ( I know it isn't a new observation, but I had to let out some steam).:bang:

One more note; over here the Jreds cost slightly less than the Huskys, while I believe it is the other way around in the US.

For me the selection of the MS361 was a real easy one....:D

I've owned Husky 359 E-tech and had problems starting it, etc. Because of lack of support in my area, I had to take it back for a refund. I'm not saying that you'll have the same problem. If yours doesn't start easily, maybe someone here, or there, can help you out. If it works good, than you have a great saw IMHO. I eventually gave it another try and got the same model, the one banned from California and have been happy ever since. Good power to wt. ratio. Great all around. A little too much for limbing, and a little small for felling big hardwoods. But good for anything I've found in between. I plan to mod mine too as it would help w/ chunking of large seasoned hardwood,etc.

I've owned a Stihl 361 too. Not much difference in the use between the two IMHO. If they didn't get a lemon, I think either owner 361 or 359 are equally happy in their performance. My non-E-tech 359 starts on ave. 2 pulls after first fire. Only one easy pull after warm.
Great choice of a Fine ergonomic tool.

Best regards,

Noah

Make sure you pour the bar oil over the front of the case - makes more hp. Good choice!

Back