Husqvarna 362XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Husqvarna gets their heads out of their asses and looks at the success of the 361 and builds a similar saw then I will buy one. If they made a saw 12.5# and about 62cc with close to 5hp I would jump on it and stick a 28" bar on my 970 and hardly ever use it.

The 357 is nice but there is a big gap in their lineup between the 357 and 372. A big bore 357 would be nice

Hmm 562/560/2260 fits the bill nicely now, eh?

And I'm told that there is a saw in the works to fill that gap between the 357 and the 372. It will of course be an X-torque motor. It's a while out yet, so you've plenty of time to finish your project.:cheers:

Premonitions of the 562 to be!

If its an X-Torq motor it will be a heavy pig

I think they solved that problem. 562 is one of the best power to weight ratios out there now!

Interesting resurrection of an old thread huh?

Thanks for your advice. Why would you not advise to mill with it? Too small an engine size (62cc)? I saw a 385xp for £380 which was a bit outside of my price range. are the Jonsereds a cheaper alternative to the Husqvarnas on CCs to your buck?

Hmm 562/560/2260 fits the bill nicely now, eh?

Premonitions of the 562 to be!

I think they solved that problem. 562 is one of the best power to weight ratios out there now!

Interesting resurrection of an old thread huh?

You did of course notice that this is a very old thread, from well before the 560xp, 562xp or 2260?

Thanks for your advice. Why would you not advise to mill with it? Too small an engine size (62cc)? I saw a 385xp for £380 which was a bit outside of my price range. are the Jonsereds a cheaper alternative to the Husqvarnas on CCs to your buck?

It simply is too small. Milling is very hard on the saw, 90cc+ is more like it (unless the wood is very small).

Basically, Jonsered saws made after 2003 or so are the same saw as some Husky model (minus a few mostly cosmetical differences), and there basically isn't much price difference (if any). It became that way after a gradual change process, that started about 1982 - a very long story with other brands (mainly Partner) involved as well.
Regarding used saws it will depend on the market where the saw is (how well recognized the Jonsered brand is in the market/area).

Jonsered saws that are suitable for milling (and partly designed with that in mind) is the 2094 and particularly the 2095. They were made by Husky from about 1990 to 2003, but weren't the same as any Husky model(s).

It simply is too small. Milling is very hard on the saw, 90cc+ is more like it (unless the wood is very small)..

What I am currently looking to mill is a 20" diameter log. Therefore I was thinking a 24" bar (max recommended bar length for the 362xp) would give me a bit of spare either side for the mill set up to attach to (not much granted). I would like to mill larger wood if I can get hold of it but for now I don't have the money to invest. For this size of log, do you think the 362xp would handle the job? Or do you think it's not worth it and I should save and wait for something with more power?

Thanks

I am sure it can be done in a pinch - but it isn't something I will recommend. A 385xp would of course be much better.

Be aware that I am no expert on saw milling, I am just posting what I have learned by being on different saw forums over the years.

Consider starting a new thread on the subject, as the title of this old thread may keep some people from looking (the 362xp isn't either a common or a current model).

You did of course notice that this is a very old thread, from well before the 560xp, 562xp or 2260?
I certainly did, that's why I said "premonition" of 562xp ;)
I thought it was interesting, this talk of a "gap" in the husky lineup, an Xtorq model in the works, and a reputation that the Xtorq engine is a heavy pig (probably 575\576, 1st gen strato) and now look at where we are.

And yes, the 362 is simply too small to mill with. Maybe softwood under 20" you'd be ok. In a pinch, yes. So if you owned one already, sure, an occasional log would be ok. But I would not buy one with the intention of milling with it.

Get the most displacement you can afford. A 385 would be good for that size wood. 390xp, 2188, a Stihl 066\660 would also work well. Maybe you don't need a 395 or 3120 to mill 20" logs, but milling is hard on a saw and takes alot of power.

Either save and wait for a better deal on a bigger saw, or if you just have a couple logs, find a guy with a portable bandsaw mill, and have him come to you, or you bring the logs to them to have them sawn into lumber.

I didnt realize it was on the same platform as the 372.

If Husqvarna gets their heads out of their asses and looks at the success of the 361 and builds a similar saw then I will buy one. If they made a saw 12.5# and about 62cc with close to 5hp I would jump on it and stick a 28" bar on my 970 and hardly ever use it.

The 357 is nice but there is a big gap in their lineup between the 357 and 372. A big bore 357 would be nice
562!!

Thanks SawTroll and Chris. I'm glad I asked the question before going out to buy! The search continues...

Back