Husqvarna 385xp limited, or not??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
coil in it is blue..

coil in a 340 I have is black..

should I swap?

planning on some port work (or a lot, actually...)

Is the answer obvious?? :cheers: :laugh:

J

I would swap it J. Its a whole lot easier to tell whats what with an unlimited coil, although its not 100% necessary if you tune it in wood.

I would swap it J. Its a whole lot easier to tell whats what with an unlimited coil, although its not 100% necessary if you tune it in wood.

yes its limited and no leave it in I believe its limited to 13 000 rpm

:dizzy:

ok, 1 and 1... :confused:

Durand- I gotta agree..but I will say, most of the tune checking happens out of the wood...a bit tough to cut AND tune at the same time..

I'm in the majority of MOST humans that ONLY have TWO hands... although, I'm working on training my feet a bit :clap:

BC Logger- why do you feel to keep it? I know how to tune a saw... not sure if it NEEDS to be over 13k...that's why I ask..

J

The only bad thing with the limited coil is I think they end up tuned a bit on the rich side. I tuned the 372 with the blue coil and then just swapped out the coils and went and checked it and it was a little rich. No big difference but a little. I'm wanting to take the time to run it with the limited back on in the same piece of wood to see if the cut times are the same.

Anybody got a video of a saw being tuned "in the cut"? Or is this just an expression? I'm interested in learning this procedure.

SawGarage,
I suggest you try both coils then decide which you like better.
I've already been there and I have no use for a limited coil.
My non limit coil 2004 Muffler Modded 385xp 4 strokes at 14,200 rpms and I richen it alittle to be safe which lowers the rpms to 14,000.

My 2009 390xp has a limited coil and I'm never confident its tuned just right. I tune it by letting it bounce off the rev limiter (13,000rpms) then richen it up til the rpms drop a 100 or 2. A least I know its not lean.
My old 385 has always outcut it even before the Muf Mod.
A non limited coil and exhaust deflector are on its way from baileys for the 390xp.

Here a pic of my Muf Mod 385xp.
attachment.php

Longwood, I guess tuning in the cut is more of a feel thing. Ive never tuned a chainsaw just by in the cut, but have done several cut off saws in the cut,,asphalt cut that is. I tried adjusting them just like you said. Hit the limiter and back it off a hair. They wont cut nothing when you get them under a load, but it could be cause there designed to operate at a lower RPM due to the RPM rating of the blade. The way I do them is get them in a good cut, adjust rich, then lean them out till they feel the best. Right or wrong, I haven't never burnt one up, and the plugs look good...and I guarantee that I can go put the tach on any of them and there bouncing off the rev limiter with no load. But the rev limiter on the cut offs is about 10 something,,,cant remember right off. This procedure may not be the best for a chainsaw though.

Thanks guys...

I'm not used to the limited coils... I don't think the 340/350 will EVER have the JUICE to pull over 13k in the cut, so it sounds like swapping them for tune-ability makes sense...

thanks!!

:cheers:

J

Yes it's limited. I strongly recommend you replace it if porting the saw. I replace them on every Husky I port.

Brad,

thanks for the response. I'm familiar with the BLUE being limited, and the BLACK, not limited...

I guess I was confusing with my title...

should have read: : 385xp to limit, or NOT to limit (ignition...) :

Thanks...

easy enough.

J

Just my 2 cents, J...! If you're planning on porting the saw, then you'd want the black coil. You don't want a blue coil mucking up your tuning process. Plus I assuming if you're porting it, you don't want a crummy 'ol blue coil throttlin' back your ported 385 Monster do ya?!

Latest posts

Back