Husqvarna 394-395, Stihl 066-660 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
What is the difference in the Husqvarna 394 and the newer 395?
Also what is the difference in the Stihl 066 and its newer 660?
From a performace stand point has anyone ran both makers saws stock? Has anyone ran both makers saws modded? Just wanting to learn about the bigger saws, so fire away.

The pistons rings on one were thinner. Maybe 1.2 versus 1.5, I do not remember. There are a lot of 394's around with dead coils. I do not see many 395's.

I always prefered the feel Jonsered equivalents. Lot of burned up Jonsered from leaky impulse hoses. Cheap part on expensive saw.

The 2095's that I have are faster in the wood than the 066's(non magnums)that I have. Both run 7 pin 3/8 with 20" bars.

The 066 are easy saws to use , they feel smaller in the grip. The controls on the Stihls are better.

Back to work.

While i don't have a ton of trigger time behind a 394/395. i have ran them. I like my 066's. They weigh less, like 2-3 pounds. Makes a difference if you are actually using them in the woods, vs play racing. The 395 has better antivibe and better air filtration.... The 066 seems much more torquey than the husky. Kinda like a 046 to 372 comparison if you have ran either of those.

I have two 066's. Both are magnums. I was not aware they made an 066 that was not a magnum, but I am new to the stihls. My old red light 066 has the aluminum flywheel. It is a strong runner. I run 3/8"-8 with 20" on the newer 066 and a 24" with the same rim on the Red light. I had a 3/8-8T rim on the older one with a 28" bar and you still can't believe the torque these things have. You'll wear yourself out trying to make one of these monster bog, in reasonable wood. -under 36". The newer 066 ran with a 36" bar not to long ago with a 7T rim and still had enough ass to pull full comp chain and not bog. That one is stock, with the dual port muffler cover, mind you.

The newer 066's are idenical to the 660's. My other 066 is an 03 model, but is still a 066, although Andy tells me they are part for part idenical. They use poly (plastic) flywheels. They rev faster, but IMO don't carry the torque in the cut. They also have a tiny exhaust port opening on the muffler and only have the single port muffler. The older 066's had the dual port cover. also the newer 066/660's have gay epa carbs, limited adjustment.

My woods modded 066 (red light) totally blows the newer 066 away.

One of these days I may get a 395 to play with, but for now, the 066's are KING. lol. If you are seriously interested, I can call my husky guy tomorow. He deals in a ton of 394/395 saws for the loggers. The last time he had a bunch in, he wanted 300ish out of them, and they were in decent shape. At that price, they don't last too long.

-Steve

Last edited:
I am new to newer Stihls. It was my understanding that Magnum saws came with high flow air filters, decomp. valve, and dual port mufflers. I do not know. The plastic on my saws says 066, that is all.

I would agree that the 066 has more torque than the 394. I did not like the one I was using. My 2095 has much more torque than the 394.

$300 is what a good used 394/395 goes for around here as well. Stihls fetch the most. Jonsereds in the middle.

The comparison I made was done while removing two approx. 38" dia. maple trees. The wood was bucked at 16-18" and ripped to approx.6" by 6". The saws were run by me for the purpose of comparing them. It was quite clear which was faster and which was easier on the operator. I also started with a 064 in the mix but it was not competitive.

The 066s get used more often because they are easier to control. Speed is not everything, control is much more important. I like the feel of the 2095s the best they do seem to fatigue my grip faster.

Back