Husqvarna 395xp problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello new to the site.
Im having a problem with my new saw 395xp. I bought it las year and its 2011 and i never got chance to use it. And now i am trying to use it now. It quits running on me after to cuts on a 40" diameter log. It seems like it vapor locking on me. Iv had it in the shop twice now for the same thing and first time they played with the carb and the second time they replace a tank vent. I am using it at almost 7000' above sea level.

What kind of emissions garbge does it have and can i remove them? cause my 61 and 181 run like a top. But my 395xp not so much.just wondering if anyone has had or heard of a problem like this with 395xp saw.

thanks doug

Brand new and not even broken in yet and running it hard at altitude in huge wood..hmm

Dealer proly not had it set up correctly right from the start, perhaps adjusted too lean, but then again you are up there in altitude..till maybe too lean though..

All new saws come with restrictive mufflers. Are you past warranty yet? If so look into muffler modding on the main chainsaw forum.

It is still under warranty and iv had it at the dealer twice now for the same problem. Shouldn't it be richer at the higher elevation cause the air is thinner? Do new mufflers have a catylitic converter in them?

Do you know if the after market mufflers are as restricted as the new ones are. And I heard that they put plugs in the carbs so you can only adjust the carb so much. Cause I know th carb only has 3/4 of a turn on the hi and low speed screws!

No more than you have used it I would take it back to the dealer, maybe a different dealer if you can find one. That saw should be able to cut 40" wood all day with no problems.

It is still under warranty and iv had it at the dealer twice now for the same problem. Shouldn't it be richer at the higher elevation cause the air is thinner? Do new mufflers have a catylitic converter in them?

Do you know if the after market mufflers are as restricted as the new ones are. And I heard that they put plugs in the carbs so you can only adjust the carb so much. Cause I know th carb only has 3/4 of a turn on the hi and low speed screws!

If it's under warranty take it back to the dealer and if they don't make it right call Husqvarna. Do not do anything to it yourself or they will say you voided your warranty. Make them make it right.

No more than you have used it I would take it back to the dealer, maybe a different dealer if you can find one. That saw should be able to cut 40" wood all day with no problems.

Yea I know it should cut through 40" wood pine allday and that what's pissing me off. The very first time it did it I had only cut 2 rounds and it did the same exact thing. It acts like its vapor locking or something.

Yea I know it should cut through 40" wood pine allday and that what's pissing me off. The very first time it did it I had only cut 2 rounds and it did the same exact thing. It acts like its vapor locking or something.

Next time it acts up and appears to be "vapor locked" set the saw down on its recoil starter side, and open the gas cap as quick as you can. Do you get fuel boiling out of the fuel tank?

If you bought the saw a year ago and you are just using it now for the first time, it might have old, stale gas in it. Dump it and make sure to use high octane non-ethanol gas.
Good luck

If you bought the saw a year ago and you are just using it now for the first time, it might have old, stale gas in it. Dump it and make sure to use high octane non-ethanol gas.
Good luck

I dumped the old gas out before I used it year and have been running 100 octane sunnco unleaded gas in it. And iv talked two different people and they said it shouldn't have a problem with the 100oct gas in it. So it's going back to the shop in the tomorrow... Ugh.

If you're cutting at 7000 feet you don't need a richer setting on your carb, you need a leaner one. Don't lean it out too much, just until it runs right. If you start cutting at lower elevations be sure to richen it back up.

I don't know anything about Husky mufflers but quite a few of the guys on here do.

Where are you cutting? I know of a couple of good saw shops in my area.

If you're cutting at 7000 feet you don't need a richer setting on your carb, you need a leaner one. Don't lean it out too much, just until it runs right. If you start cutting at lower elevations be sure to richen it back up.

I don't know anything about Husky mufflers but quite a few of the guys on here do.

Where are you cutting? I know of a couple of good saw shops in my area.

I'm in the Fresno/Clovis area. Yea I can't seem to find anyone that can figure it out. There isn't a whole lot of adjustment in the screws compared to my dads old husky's. That saw should eat up a pine tree like no tomorrow with 7hp and I'm running a .50 skip chain on it.

Coils went out on three of my saws, including my 395. Would run, warm up, start missing and the refuse to rev. All replaced by Husqvarna although I had to pay a bench charge on two of them.
Just a thought,
Phil

Never thought about the ignition. That's a good idea to have them double check that also. Thanks for the idea Phil.

Never thought about the ignition. That's a good idea to have them double check that also. Thanks for the idea Phil.

Just a note: A GOOD shop has a huge test log out back. If they don't, they can't reproduce customer problems for analysis, or have anything to really check their tune. A tach setting is one thing, what the saw does in wood is another.

Just a note: A GOOD shop has a huge test log out back. If they don't, they can't reproduce customer problems for analysis, or have anything to really check their tune. A tach setting is one thing, what the saw does in wood is another.

They have test log but nothing like I'm cutting though. Their log is only 24" dia if that and they are 6000ft lower then where I'm cutting at.

ill second that one.

To the OP, im not sure if huskys have a limiter on their carbs like stihls do, that may be somethin to check out too. you may not be able to lean it out enuf with the limiter on the high screw. im thinkin you're on the right track tho. have you tried postin this on the chainsaw forum? LOTS of good sound advice over there as well

ill second that one.

To the OP, im not sure if huskys have a limiter on their carbs like stihls do, that may be somethin to check out too. you may not be able to lean it out enuf with the limiter on the high screw. im thinkin you're on the right track tho. have you tried postin this on the chainsaw forum? LOTS of good sound advice over there as well

Yea I want to say they do have a limiter on their mix screws. They will only adjust a total of 3/4 of a turn. Dent know there was a chainsaw forum.

Latest posts

Back