• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Husqvarna 395XP Project Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Wells

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As the title says, shes a project. I purchased this saw off my former employer in the hopes of rebuilding it. To be honest I have WAY to many saws on the work bench. The story on this saw is, my old boss who was a faller on the westcoast of BC and was working for the Canadian Coast Guard falling trees for them on one of theyre projects before starting up his own tree service company, he purchased this saw the day he went into camp brand new from the local Husqvarna dealer. At the end of his second day on the hill he went to put his saw in the pod underneath the Hughes 500 helicopter to be flown back to camp. While in the air flying over water on theyre way back to the floating camp, the entire pod fell off the helicopter, sending his and another fallers saw into the salt chuck. The next day the coast guard send a diver down to retrieve both saws. 6 months later I purchased the saw off him.

Long story short the saw will need all new bearings, seals and gaskets. Right now the piston is locked to the cylinder walls. Im sure if you can free up the piston inside the cylinder without damaging it while doing so youll just need to clean up the cylinder walls and maybe take a emery clothe to the piston. Obviously it will need new rings. This saw has 13 hours of run time on it. Plastics are in brand new condition. Its only missing the pull cord cover and some little throttle and handle components on the tank.

I will post pictures in the AM, but Iam looking to get $400USD shipped for this saw.

it's not a matter of how long it sat in the salt chuck, it's a matter of how long it sat after being pulled from the salt chuck. i have saved things that sat under salt water for 10years but then couldn't save something that sat for a year after being pulled. so how long has it been out of the chuck? did they at least rinse it with fresh water? lots of pics are gonna be needed to make this sale possible chris and most guys inland have no idea what the chuck will do to something so give as much info as you can to the buyer as to not have problems down the road. if this saw sat any longer then a year after being pulled from the chuck without being rinsed/flushed consider everything but the plastic parts junk. if this thing looks minty with no corrosion or rusty bolts i'm telling you right now that your boss lied to you about it being in the chuck then.

It sat for 6 months after being in the chuck, there is corrosion on the saw for sure. I'll go snap as many pictures as I can. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest concern is the big end bearing of the crank. That's a pricey part.

i had a 394 way back that had been introduced to the salt chuck. sat a month at my buddies after it was recovered. he didn't even tell me til a month later which was stupid cause the saw would have been saved if dealt with right away. i managed to get it running but always had a question in my mind about the big end as it was super stiff. i did get it moving free but the saw only ran a few weeks. i believe the crank pin was all pitted to hell which i'm sure needles were too. at least it didn't destroy the top end :)

I've thought about it and as everyone has stated, the saw is going to have some internal corrosion issues more than likely. A buddy of mine just told me he has a husqvarna parts saw that I think I'll just use the parts from that to fix this one. So all being said I'm going to take this off the market.

I've thought about it and as everyone has stated, the saw is going to have some internal corrosion issues more than likely. A buddy of mine just told me he has a husqvarna parts saw that I think I'll just use the parts from that to fix this one. So all being said I'm going to take this off the market.

At a reasonable price I'd still be interested in it for parts only.

Latest posts

Back