Husqvarna 435 or Dolmar PS420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougandmel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at the two saws mentioned above. They're close in displacement (Husky - 40.9cc vs Dolmar - 42 cc). The Dolmar has .7 more horsepower, but is over a pound heavier (not that either will be heavy compared to my old Homelite I'm using now). I gather from some reading here that the Dolmar is a a little more heavy duty saw, Correct? I'm not going to be using it every day, and for the most part, I'll not be cutting anything over 12" diameter. Price isn't an issue, because the Dolmar dealer said he could match the Husky advertised price of $269. What do you think?

the husky is a far better saw. i have one for limbing. it is a nice little saw. i suggest you do a muffler mod to it.

Love my 420.
starts so easy, idles great. nice balance. Nothing against the Husky either.
But the 420 is great.

I have run both and IMO the Dolmar 420 is the way better saw. Better anti-vibe, more power. The 420 might run you anywhere from $10-$25 dollars more than the Husky but you will have a great saw with the Dolmar. Keep in mind it comes with the safety chain so pick yourself up a loop of Oregon VX or VXL for a more aggressive chain.

I tried out the 435 and own the 420 ....I still might buy a 435 and will not sell my two 420's ..........420's are really strong runners.....

There are plenty of refurb 435's forsale at a great price ......

Husqvarna 435

I have a 435, it is a light & nimble little saw, but is a clamshell design.
I think the Dolmar 420 has a split magnesium crankcase like the larger
pro saws.

If I had dealer support for Dolmar, I would probably go with it.

Last edited:
I chose the Dolmar after doing my research. Great Saw!

I don't have blind brand loyalty, so when I was looking for the best saw in that size and price range, I researched several different brands & models, including the Husky 435 & Dolmar PS420. I looked them up on the web and asked dealers about problems with certain models. I also asked questions of people who had puchased them.

I ended up buying the Dolmar PS420 simply because it was the best choice.
It's a true "PRO" saw with all the features, i.e.-vertically split magnesium crankcase, coil spring AV, auto/manual oiler, easy start feature, etc.
It was the only pro saw I considered in that price range. All the other saws were "Homeowner" types.
IMO, the next choice would have been the Echo CS370/400, as they seem to be a very good saws.

I haven't regretted my purchase. The Dolmar is a very strong cutter for its size, and feels close to my Husky 51, but is much lighter.
And it's made in Germany and not China, if that matters to you.

I paid $299 for mine, so you would be getting an excellent deal if you went for the Dolmar.
I don't care for any of the OE chains, and the dealer readily swapped it for a pro chain.

I'm not knocking the Husky 435, as it seems to be a good saw. And you said you were only going to use it occasionally, so it would probably do well for your needs.

:cheers:

Last edited:
One other question. Is the oiler on the Husky435 clutch driven like the Dolmar is? The Husqvarna website states "fixed flow", but doesn't say if it's clutch driven or not.

435 oiler

I have looked at the IPL for the 435, it looks like a clutch drum driven
oiler. I don't know of any way to use a rim setup on the 435-440;

Correct me if I am wrong or looking at obsolete information.

I have a 435 and it's a strong runner for such a light small saw. Sounds like maybe the Dolmar is alittle better construction though. FYI the 435 is made in Sweden not to be confused with the 235. Sounds like either is a good choice:cheers:

If these are your choices by all means get the Dolmar. It is a far better built and designed saw, sorta tried and true. In that class of saw I think the Dolmar is the class of the field, and yes, I do own a comparable saw to each one. Husky 41 and Makita DCS-430.

Can't comment on the 435, never ran one. I will say the 420 is the strongest running (Edit for it's size), easiest starting saw I've ever owned.

In my opinion, it's the perfect "Homeowner" saw, although most homeowners wouldn't appreciate what they had...

Last edited:
I am not a Husqvarna basher

The 435, I have one, it runs great, but has always been a little hard to
start even after tuning. I changed out the starter assembly to an E-type to make it easier to start. I have a Husqvarna 55 & Makita/Dolmar 520 DCS,
they are both good saws about the same weight, age, and displacement;
depends a lot on maintenance & condition/type of chain.
I don't really need one, but I would like to have a Dolmar 7900.

The Husky doesn't even BEGIN to compare with the Dolmar.
It's about like asking how the 346XP compares to a Wildthing.
Given any care at all the 420 will be running strong when several 435s are resting quietly in Poulusky heaven.

Mike

For the most part yes.

The 436 is a small plastic homeowner saw, nothing more, but it's OK for what it is. The Dolmar 420 is a small pro saw with more power, far better construction and it's simply a nicer saw to run, and will be so for longer. I'd get the Dolmar.

Can't say good or bad about the dolmar. the 435 Is not a poulan, it's a swedish build saw. The 235 is a us, poulan build saw.

Hi, I'm looking at the two saws mentioned above. They're close in displacement (Husky - 40.9cc vs Dolmar - 42 cc). The Dolmar has .7 more horsepower, but is over a pound heavier (not that either will be heavy compared to my old Homelite I'm using now). I gather from some reading here that the Dolmar is a a little more heavy duty saw, Correct? I'm not going to be using it every day, and for the most part, I'll not be cutting anything over 12" diameter. Price isn't an issue, because the Dolmar dealer said he could match the Husky advertised price of $269. What do you think?

You mostly answered your own question - the saws aren't really comparable. The Dolmar is built like a pro saw, with a Magnesium case, but the weight is a bit high for the cc and power output. The Husky is a plastic cased pure "homeowner" saw, even though it is made in Sweden.

Most reports that I have seen, have been positive on both models.

Go with the 420. Dont worry so much about small weight difference. remember, metal weighs more than plastic! Also the 420 balances well, has an adjustable oiler and is built way better. You cant go wrong!

I love my 420, removed the cat and switched it over to .325 chain, very impressive little saw!

Back