Husqvarna 435 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_Jon

Reaction score
I am having issues with my 435. It's been a dependable and light saw. I was having issues with the chain not turning. The brake is off, so that's not it. I did take it apart and the sprocket on my bar was not turning freely. When I cleaned it out it turn freely for half a rotation and then hangs up. I'm guessing one of the teeth got bent. So I bought a new chain and bar and my saw still does not turn at lower power like it should. It takes quite a bit of power from the saw to get the chain moving. The chain is not too tight, but should I be able to spin it with the saw off ? I wonder if I am looking at a clutch issue. Thanks, this forum is great btw.

You should be able to cycle the chain (with a gloved hand) freely. A properly tensioned chain will have some drag but not be overly difficult to cycle.

Not trying to insult your intelligence but just trying to cover the bases, did you verify that the new bar and chain pitch match that of your rim or spur sprocket on the clutch? I'm not sure if the 435 uses a rim or spur, but if it uses a rim sprocket, make sure the chain is properly seated in the rim and not alongside it.

If that all checks out, I would remove the clutch cover, bar, and chain and sparkplug. Pull the engine over with the recoil starter and observe the clutch as it rotates, looking for wobble or anything out of the ordinary. Next, rotate the outer clutch drum by hand checking that it spins freely. If no issue is detected then your problem lies with the bar/chain combo or the clutch cover/chainbrake itself. Closely inspect the chainbrake area of the clutch cover checking for signs of any rubbing and make sure it is clean and functional.

If you mount the bar and chain, does the chain cycle freely before you install the clutch cover?? I know it's only loosely mounted, but this can help point you in the direction of the problem. If everything seems normal at that point, how about installing the clutch cover and only lightly seating the bar nuts leaving the chain loose? If still good, tighten the chain and try again? Something is amiss somewhere..

thanks for the quick response. I did have the have the chain assembly off and the chain moved freely. I'll check out the rest this weekend when I have time. Thanks again,

Jon

thanks everyone, I cleaned everything and put it back together. The chain tightener needed to be adjusted to line up with the hole in the bar. I suspect that's why I couldn't get the bar on easily. Anyways, I started it up and cut a few logs and everything is working better than before.

Jon

Latest posts

Back