Husqvarna 444 RING?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samarsenault

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. I was recently given an old neglected Husqvarna 444 for free by a relative. The family who had it are great people but NOT mechanically inclined. I cleaned the carb up and then it started (before it would not) and I cut for about two hours and then it died on me. The compression has never been great and now it seemed even worse. As I had fuel and spark I thought the problem could be a lack of compression. It's entirely possible that the saw was run with a tank or two of straight gas without 2 cycle oil while the last folks had it - I would preffer not to ask them straight up to avoid embarrassing them.

I've taken the cylinder off and have the piston and ring exposed. The ring is basically level with the piston, ie same outside diameter. Is this likely the problem and what ballpark would this ring cost (canadian). Before dissasembly the compression was so low I could take the spark plug out and hold my thumb over the hole and pull the cord and feel nothing on my thumb. The cylinder wall and piston don't look too scratched up at all.

Check the ring clearance.Put the ring LEVEL in the cylinder and measure between the two ends.If more than .025 inch,you need a new ring.Im not sure if still available,part # 5016 618 01 or 5016 636 01 if you got the thin one one around .025 thick.Should be around 20.00 .

Latest posts

Back